About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, October 1, 2010

October Rocks!

October first makes me think of lots of things.  Some silly, some serious, some happy, some spooky.  Try to Remember the First of Octember by Dr Seuss comes to mind first.  Silly.  October is Breast Cancer awareness month, and also Physical Therapy month.  Serious.  October is the month of my birthday.  At my age, very serious.  October is the month of my sister Jill's birthday.  Happy!

October is the month of the anniversary on Sierra's adoption which happens to be on October 31st, also Halloween of course, and her favorite holiday in a tie with Christmas.

This year I am taking a week's vacation in October just for me.  I'm spending most of the week at home doing things I feel like doing.  Not working and eating lots of hummus.  And I'm going to a B&B near Starved Rock for a couple days.  One of those days my friend Cindy from Chicago will meet me for some hiking if the weather is good or some coffee and Scrabble games if the weather stinks. 

I plan to do a lot of reading that week.  Our book group will be meeting in late October and so I will be re-reading The Used World.  I also want to read Living Downstream in anticipation of the author visiting Bloomington-Normal in October for a screening of her film and to talk at Wesleyan about the environment and cancer.    If there is time I might start Carlos Eire's Waiting for Snow in Havana after hearing him speak yesterday at the Bloomington Public Library and being quite impressed by him and hearing many raves about the book from members of the audience.  And of course in October there is the Robin Meyers Dog and Pony Show which I will be attending both Friday night and Saturday morning the last weekend in October.

Well, if you want to find me or fix me up with any nice men, you can send them to some of the above events to meet me.  I'll be living downstream in the used world while waiting for snow in havana and trying to save Jesus from the church while simultaneously turning 53 but looking much younger of course.

I'll also be attending the Cemetery Walk, an ISU football game, and Interfaith Panel featuring the fabulous Susan Ryder, and Lord knows what else this month!

I love October!

4 comments:

Ellen said...

I think you LOVE LIFE, daughter. I'm glad you do.

Kathleen said...

I know a man in Ohio.

Kathleen said...

October is also GLBT History month, as I learned from Nancy Devine's blog.

Susan Ryder said...

Invite Mark to Robin Meyers and I'll try to get Betsy back here. Oh wait, this was supposed to be about you. Hmm, maybe Mr. H. would be interested in Meyers? Kathleen, get on that will you?