About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, October 22, 2010

Baseball in October

I do love me some baseball.  Even when I don't follow or much care about any of the teams playing in the postseason, I watch some of the games then pick my favorites based on absolutely absurd criteria such as 

1.  Are they NOT the Yankees.  - then possibly my favorite
2.  Did they win the World Series recently?  - then NOT my favorite this year, though I may have liked them previously.  I think this is due to my innate Cubfanness which requires I root for the underdog in all situations.
3.  Is one of their players one of the steroid-hyped-mean-aggressive-types?  If so then probably NOT my favorite team.  Fortunately this year we are not seeing quite so much of that.  Whew.
4.  In the final series, the so-called World Series even though it includes only one team from a country other than the US, I tend to root for the National League team.  I think that's because I am more likely to know the players, because I don't like the DH, and also in most years you can see item #1 on the list.

Naps are an important part of my regular season game watching routine.  The postseason games, however,  are on so late that I often just go to bed while they are still on.  I miss that experience of waking up in the 8th inning and seeing the end of the game.  Since I don't have to get up early tomorrow, I might stay up to see the end of what I hope will be the Yankees final game this year. 

2 comments:

ron hardy said...

Although I tend to cringe from all things Texan, I am with you in this case Kim. And I think the Yankees are cooked because if the series goes on to 7 they will have to face Cliff Lee again. I like the nap your way through the game too. I like those moments when your team has come back and you don't even know what day it is. And who wouldn't want to root for SF with a 15 year old catcher named Buster and a 16 year old pitcher who looks like he should be skate boarding. All said I am an October kind of fan too.

Kathleen said...

Taffy apples.