About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, October 15, 2010

We are All A Work in Progress

Yesterday afternoon I started stripping wallpaper in the upstairs bathroom.  It is a little tough to get off, requiring a fair amount of water and elbow grease.  I've only got a relatively small area done, and I think today I will shell out $18 to rent a steamer for 3 hours.  That seems steep to me, but that's what Weavers RentAll charges and I don't know anyplace else I can rent one.  Plus Weavers is good, they have everything I have ever wanted to rent and if you say something didn't work exactly right they make it right.  

I think if my computer was working and I could post a photo of the bathroom right now, you would all feel so sorry for me that you would come right over to help.  It looks downright pathetic.  If you feel like taking my word for it, I'm planning to arrive with the steamer about 10 a.m. after getting kids to school and stopping by to see if Susan's pelvis is aligned properly with the stars today.  (That's gonna be my new career PT-Astrologist!)  (Not.)

Sierra doesn't like change.  So when she got home from school and saw the work in progress, she started to cry.  "I loved that wallpaper.  Can we get the same paper to replace it?  Can I have that wallpaper in my room."  Tears.  Finally acceptance.  Later walking in and out of the bathroom over and over and fake-crying when she stepped in the room and stopping when she stepped out again.  Over and over.  Then looking at the uneven areas of removed paper and pretending she was looking at clouds and saying what the shapes looked like. 

I think she's gone through the 5 stages of grief now and we can move on to picking out the paint color.

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Oh, I love these new career ideas! PT-Astrologist and Wallpaper Hanger!

I think the steamer will make your job lots easier. My parents' marriage survived their wallpaper job, I think thanks to a steamer.

Ellen said...

Oh dear. I guess this job can't wait till we get there, right?

Poor Sierra. Goodness, she just LOVES her life as it is. What a girl.

Good luck, Kim. I used to do that stuff all the time and would love to be able to help you.

Susan Ryder said...

I'm a Leo, Scorpio rising, and my moon is over Miami, or something like that. Just thought it might help to know that before you get here, as I agree, PT Astrologist might be just the right fit. Or maybe PT-Wine Connoisseur?

Connie Lou said...

I thought you loved removing wallpaper. You and Francisco came to my house when Gregg and I were married and helped us with wallpaper, patching, sanding, etc. What happened? :D

Kim said...

I loved using the power sander most of all!