About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pet Pepperoni Pizzas

I was done with work a little early yesterday so I called Kathleen to invite her to go for a walk and/or a cup of coffee.  She was available for a late afternoon get-together by some miracle of serendipitous timing since she was not working OR rehearsing for the Evergreen Cemetary Walk which starts this weekend.  I stopped by her house and instead of exercising and/or drinking coffee we had some red wine and hummus.  What a surprise!

So yesterday was a great day.

I currently have a patient that I see regularly myself, instead of having her see one of the Physical Therapy Assistants.  I have been able to get to know her a little better than I often get to know my other patients.  She is very smart and clever.  We were talking about kids' songs yesterday.  She knew the Old Dunderbeck song that my grandfather used to sing and for which my dad recently got the lyrics by asking my whiz sister Connie to find them on the Internet, which she promptly and efficiently did.  My patient did not, however, know The Poor Old Slave has Gone to Rest.  But I sang it for her.  And now I'll be fired from my job.  No, just kidding.  She loved it and said it reminded her of the kids' song: Apples and Bananas.  I just recently learned that song from Chris Kauffman at NCC when she taught it to the children there a few years ago.  For those of you who don't know the Apples and Bananas song, it goes like this:

I like to eat,
I like to eat,
I like to eat apples and bananas.

You sing that verse 5 times but each time you sing the phrase Apples and Bananas you replace the vowel sounds with the long A sound, then the long E sound, then long I, long O and long U.  It's pretty funny by the end.  Uupples Und Bununus!

My patient said after a while kids get bored with that so she created a similar song with the lyrics

I like to eat,
I like to eat,
I like to eat Pepperoni Pizza.

Using the same vowel switching technique.  I like to eat Peepeereenee Peezee.  It IS funnier.

And then she said a few years after she taught only a small group of kids her own version of the song, she heard some kids that she didn't know singing it at a park. 

She could have been famous!  And Connie could have been rich if Mom hadn't made her give the rocks she sold the neighbor kids back and return their money, just months before Pet Rocks became all the rage.

 

8 comments:

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Take Two:

The poor old slave has gone to rest
We know that he is freeeee.
His bone they lie,
Disturb them not,
Way down in Tennessee.

The pee-or old slee-ave has gee-on to ree-est
We knee-ow that hee-o is free-o free free.
His bee-ones they lee-ie
Distee-urb them nee-ot,
Way dee-on in Tee-enoseeoseesee.

The piggity-poor old sliggity-slave has giggity on to riggity-rest,
we kniggigty know that higgity-o is friggity-o free free,
His biggity-bones they liggity-lie,
Distiggity-urb them niggity-not,
Way diggity-down in Tiggity-en-oh-see-oh-seesee.

Kathleen said...

We like to have
We like to have
We like to have red wine and hummus

...ruud wuun and huumuus!

Ellen said...

The Poor Old Slave has to be sung faster and faster with each verse too.

Yes, just go ahead and blame your poor old mother for our family being poor. Connie reminds me of that every now and then too.

How about the Little Skunk song? ANYONE remember it?

Kim said...

Sierra and her skunk Sammy would like to know about the Little Skunk song,,,

Ellen said...

I had computer problem and then had to leave. Just got back.

O.K. Here goes.

Well, I stuck my head in a little skunks hole and
the little skunk said, "Well bless my soul" Take it out, take it out, REMOVE IT
OOPS, I removed it too late.

Kim said...

I remember that one. I'll teach it to her tonight!

ted tingley said...

I made Ellen sleep outside after encounter wit the skunk, PHEW.