About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Juan Two Three

Juan Uribe was put in the Giants lineup last night for his defensive skills at third base.  He was replacing the usual third baseman who needs to drop a few pounds so he can bend over and field the baseball.  Juan, however, hit the game winning home run and was the big hero of that game. 



There was almost a fight.  Benches cleared but level heads prevailed when Jonathon Sanchez took out his frustrations about how bad he was pitching by yelling something stupid at Chase Utley.  Oh, yeah, and Sanchez had just hit Utley with the pitch.  And all Utley did was gently toss the ball back to Sanchez.  I think Sanchez might be related to Carlos Zambrano.  The good news about the almost-fight was that no one did anything but mill around and argue a bit, and the delay gave the Giants time to get a relief pitcher ready so they could take Sanchez out of the game right away.

Personally this was my favorite game of the post season this year, so far.  I saw the first 3 innings when both teams scored 2 runs and the almost-fight occurred.  I napped from somewhere in the 5th to the 7th inning.  I woke up to see the score was still 2-2.  I then saw all the excitement of the last 2 innings, including the aforementioned home run, the relief appearance of Tim Lincecum (who is 26 even though he looks like he is 17),  and the final out of the game.  I'm not sure, but I think it was the nap that made it my favorite.

Other than watching the game, I had a pleasantly busy day yesterday.  The kids got up early and did their homework and then we watched How to Train Your Dragon.  I was dreading watching it and only did so because Sierra insisted.  So of course it turned out to be a wonderful kids movie that I think is now one of my favorites.  The underlying theme is that of the Golden Rule and it tells the story of a kid who is different from everyone else in his community but that difference is what ends generations of war.  If Jeremiah can apply those lessons soon he might get that iPad! 

Later in the afternoon I did some more wall-paper scraping, some errand-running including picking up paint color samples to keep me inspired in the scraping project, some vacuuming, some bill-paying and paper shredding, and some dog-walking in the rain.  I listened to some delightful thunder, the far away kind.

Beginning Wednesday the Giants will be facing the Rangers in the Y'all Classic now.  I will be rootin' and tootin' for the Giants this time around.  So fasten your seat belts, it's World Series time!

8 comments:

Kathleen said...

I like tracking baseball in your blog! My most popular blog entry is titled "Of Boobies and Baseball," but I think it's the boobies that make it popular. My second most popular blog entry is "Intercity Volleyball" and that must be people searching for scores and schedules.

ron hardy said...

Kim, between the two of us we probably could watch an entire game. If I was calling this game on the radio all you would hear is a dead mike with crowd noise rising and falling for most of the game and then someone in the background shouting "there's gonnna be a fight." Then I would wake up in the eighth just in time to say, "Uribe's ball just barely cleared the rail in right." So much for broadcasting. Yeah, thank god Pablo Sandoval is overweight. I looked up his stats, 5'11" 246. My son and I were watching the previous game and talking about how baseball players and sumo wrestlers are about the only athletes that can give the impression of being out of shape because it some cases they are. And then suddenly like a living example there is Sandoval not finding the bag at third with his foot on a force of a ball that hit home plate and should have been called foul. And then Pablo whirls and falls, like a bag of water, in a heap right over the base. So both fairy tales came true. How do they handle Dh Kim? By the way, Buster's parents picked him up at the gate and Timmy rode home on his bike.
My oldest tells me I would enjoy "Dragon". And he's probably right. I have a copy of "Finding Nemo" around here somewhere and I cried in wall-e.
The Y'all classic. I like that.

Ellen said...

I think you are really dragging out the wallpaper job till January, right?

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Previous post removed after glaring typo discovered that was just too embarrassing...here we go again.

Ron, I think we could put together an entertaining broadcast of a world series game, but one of us would have to stay awake at all times in case of something like a walk-off grand slam. I'm imagining something like Click and Clack at the Game.

Mom, no I am saving bigger and more difficult jobs until January! Ha!
Mom,

Kim said...

and another typo but WhatEver!

ron hardy said...

You're right Kim. We could probably talk about The Bill James Unified Field Theory of Baseball. And the esoteric origins of baseball language. The diamond and stealing home. The rise of the closer, the fall of the complete game. Out but never in.
Mom,

Kathleen said...

I am definitely going to listen to youse guys's radio broadcast.