About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, October 29, 2010

An Act of Congress and some Leaky Pipes

In the way that only stubborn Cub fans can, I'm going to blog about them even though we are into the World Series (Giants up 2-0 in case you have been in a coma for the past 2 days and didn't notice) and of course the Cubs are not in the World Series, which you would suspect even if you've been in a coma for the last 100 years. 

Item one on Cub list today:  The US Congress voted to rename the Post Office in the Lakeview Neighborhood after Steve Goodman!  Go Congress, Go!  That PO is just a line drive away from Wrigley Field, of course.  Finally the government is attending to the needs of the People.

Item two:  I noticed today that when I start up my computer, the Weather Channel web site magically appears and tells me the weather at Wrigley Field.  Today it also comments:  No Games are Scheduled Today at Wrigley.  Well, duh.  It's late October.  Comatose people do not use laptops. 

Right now a little icon on the toolbar is flashing, courtesy of the Weather Channel site, and letting me know it's only 28 degrees Fahrenheit outside where I live, which is not at Wrigley Field, but of course in Normal, Illinois.  If I had paid attention yesterday to the flashing temperature icon I would have worn a warmer coat when I took Wolf out for a spin.  Today I will definitely put on a warm winter-type garment before venturing out.

The Cubs news is over now, you can open your eyes. 

I had scheduled a visit from my plumber, Greg, today to fix a leaky pipe in the downstairs bathroom closet.  I had arranged to leave a door unlocked for him to get inside the house if I wasn't home.  But when I arrived home yesterday afternoon, his van was in the driveway.  Hmmm...I hadn't left the door unlocked on Thursday because I had notes all over the house reminding me to leave it open for him on Friday.   He must have found the "hidden" key.  I also noticed the van is brand-spankin' new.

When I got in the house, Greg was sitting on the couch writing up the bill for what had turned out to be a rather complicated repair job because as he put it, "a fatter plumber would have had to take out part of a wall to get at the problem."  Greg was able, by some act of contortionism that I don't want to think about, to access the faulty pipes through the ceiling of the downstairs shower.   He claimed that he would have a stiff neck later.  I said that as a PT, for exactly the amount of the plumbing bill, I could fix his neck.  He laughed and handed me the bill for...what I'm sure is the monthly payment on that new van. 

Actually my plumber is a great guy.  We chatted about sump pumps before he left.  Based on the prices he mentioned, I'm thinking he must be sending several kids to college soon.

7 comments:

Ellen said...

YOU DIDN'T EVEN FIND OUT IF HE WAS MARRIED? GOOD HEAVENS GIRL. I can see I have my work cut out for me when we get moved.

Kathleen said...

Coma, coma, coma, coma, coma chameleon. (Now get that song out of your head!)

Kim said...

Mom, he is married. I'm not in a coma. Just somewhat slow on the uptake.

Susan Ryder said...

I have so many thoughts running through my head right now, mostly in terms of sexual innuendo from your plumber story (after I woke up from reading your little Cubs detour). So much good stuff in there about fixing leaky pipes, not to mention coming home to find your plumber sitting on your couch in the middle of the day.

I am pretty sure that he must have flashed his "plumber's license" when he was contorting himself to fix your leaky pipe. Heh.

We have a hunky plumber named Ken. He is all muscle and a few tats, and never shows his plumber's license thank goodness. I chose him from the phone book because he has my former last name. Cousin Ken does not have any kids in college, or a new van, if you want another quote on a sump pump. Oh, but he does have a new baby, and come to think of it, he could use a new van ...

Kim said...

Sexual innuendo? What's that, Susan? Something you learned about in seminary?

Dwane Zelinsky said...

By the way he took your reply regarding his neck, it seems like he's an amiable guy. If he works well, then he's for keeps. Some plumbers just can't get the job done.

Darryl Iorio said...

The plumber shouldn't have said that. As a plumber, his job is to fix the plumbing system whatever the problem is, in every way he can. Getting a stiff neck is part of the job. I think you should consider replacing your personal plumber. So, how are your leaking pipes now? Who fixed it?