About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Iron-ic Story

Removing wallpaper that was apparently not applied for easy removal is, well, not easy.  I extended the rental of the steamer from 3 hours to 24 hours so I can use it until about 9:00 this morning at which time I will have to let it cool down then drive it back to Weaver's Rentall.  The steamer turned out to be a bit more heavy-duty kind of unit than I had imagined.  I have bitten off a bigger project than I can chew in a few bites.  Suffice it to say that you will be getting updates on this project for a little more than the 2 days I had imagined.  Apparently my imagination was lacking in all kinds of ways in the moments before I grabbed a loose edge of wallpaper and started pulling.

I didn't imagine how sore I would be this morning from craning my neck upward and holding a heavy steamer in one hand, scraping moist wallpaper backing with the other, balancing on the edges of the tub, and trying to avoid touching the hot steamer hose to any of my body parts. 

I'm going to confess something really ridiculous I did after steaming about an hour yesterday.  I thought to myself, "Self, why couldn't you do this just as easily with your little lightweight steam iron that is somewhere in the downstairs closet and that you never actually use to iron clothes anymore, since like 1977?"

Self went down and got the iron, filled it with water, plugged it in, picked it up after it heated up, flipped the steam button and voila!  There was steam from a small lightweight object with no hot hose to avoid. 
Self forgot, having not ironed clothes since 1977, that when you turn the iron vertically it stops steaming as a safety measure.

Self unplugged the iron and set it aside.  Later in the day the boy asked me what the iron was doing upstairs.  To be honest, I'm surprised he even knew what it was called.

Next time I announce in my blog that I am going to undertake a household project larger than say, doing the dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher, would someone please remind me of this?  Because my memory might be even worse than my imagination!

5 comments:

Susan Ryder said...

Sorry you are sore. Do you need me to come lay hands on you? Hope today goes better.

Kathleen said...

Can I watch? (the laying on of hands)

I am afraid to watch the actual laying on of steam.

Kim said...

Done with the steamer now (8:23 AM.) The rest will be done with a spray bottle and on another day, I think. Add judgment to the list of my mental abilities in question.

I think my bathroom may qualify for FEMA relief funds at this point.

Ellen said...

I think you are pretty smart thinking of a steam iron. I doubt I ever would of and Dad would probably of had to put new dry wall up by the time I got done digging holes in the old wall.

YOU GO GIRL. We live and learn.

ron hardy said...

Hi Kim. I almost inquired as to how long you had the steamer rented. Years ago my former wife and I figured a few hours would do the trick. In this case the house was built in 1917. Five layers of wallpaper and six or seven hours through the night we passed the deadline. Just for an upstairs hall. Neck braces required. A few years later I ran across the word palimpsest. It fits. The only other utility I can think of for a steam iron is grilled cheese sandwiches. smile.