About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Transition to Home

It takes a little over eight hours to drive from Akron to Normal.  It is a long time to be in a car with a girl and a dog.  But it was a pleasant drive because the girl and the dog are so sweet.  Traffic was enough to keep me attentive but not so much to annoy me.  No accidents or traffic jams to worry me.  The sun was up for all but the last hour of the trip and I drove into a beautiful sunset that was cloudy enough not to blind me.  Lavender and pewter colors of the sky. 

But we left the Player, his great kids and his traumatized cats behind, so the pleasant drive had a bittersweet flavor. Boy did it ever.

Before we left Akron we went out for a late breakfast with the Player's brother and his wife.  They adored Sierra and said so and when Sierra left she gave them all hugs.  I think she looked like she had just won the Princess of Breakfast award, and I'm pretty sure there was a tear in her eye.

I am going to ask Sierra to get to work inventing a Transporter Device right away.  Hopefully it will be made of the same materials as the galimoto.  No fossil fuels required.  It could be powered by a solar panel with a wind-turbine backup in case of a cloudy day.   Beam us up, Scottie!

We arrived late enough last night to justify sleeping in this morning.   We decided to skip church in favor of unpacking, doing laundry and re-settling the homestead.  Groceries would be high on the list of re-settling activities.   Wolf will get a walk so he can pee on his favorite hydrants.  Sierra and I will be re-decorating the tree today, taking down the St. Patrick's Day ornaments and creating some for Easter.  The tree will be in it's 4th incarnation this year once we are done.  Eggs and baskets and bunnies, Oh My!

It was Sierra's idea to come home yesterday instead of today, and now that we are here I can see that it was a good idea.  She starts school tomorrow and she needed a day at home after a week of travel.   I loved the trips we took, and I love being home with her.  Thank you my beautiful girl-child, for a great vacation.

6 comments:

ron hardy said...

Player here. I wish I was in better shape as I ran along side your car in the midday sun. I had so much more to say about our time together. But I was still able to smile as I lay along side the road looking up into the sun.

Unknown said...

Player,I've never met you, but that comment put a little tear in my eye! I'm so glad you all enjoyed a great week!

Ellen said...

Glad you are home but it sounds like a wonderful time everywhere you went.

Kathleen said...

Captain Kirk here. I'll be lighting a fire under Scottie's back burner, if you know what I bean, er mean!

ted tingley said...

I think I'll decorate for April Fools Day.

Collagemama said...

And, oh, I am just savoring the combination of lavender and pewter. I can see it.