About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Stylishly Late Blogger

I am not blogging until well after 8 a.m. today, not because I overslept.  Nor was I distracted by love.  No kids are sick.  And in spite of my claims in the title, I'm not stylish or stylishly late either.  No, I had to go to get some labs drawn and I had to fast first, so no coffee until now, and if there is no coffee there is no blog.  If blogging were my job  I would collectively bargain with me, myself and I to be sure there was always coffee available before the typing started!  Luckily I don't live in Wisconsin.

The big news here in Illinois is that the death penalty was abolished here this week, officially effective July 1st but really effective immediately as Governor Quinn changed the sentences of all 15 "members" of death row (his word, members) to life in prison without possibility of parole.   It's feeling like we live in a somewhat progressive, if not financially ruined, state these days, what with Civil Unions, and now this.  If only our school district didn't have to lay off 44 teachers due to the progressive state of Illinois not paying our public school the money they are owed.  It turns out 30 of the 44 slated to be laid off are in the special education programs.  How is that possible?   What is going to happen to those students?  Inquiring minds are disturbed by this turn of events.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I know, what a mix of things going on these days. The thrill of stepping back from the abyss of capital punishment....and the worry and woe of what will happen to those special education students. But I think the teachers will probably float. Yes, float over the swirling abyss to kids who need them at various schools.

Kathleen said...

I had to say "orkba" (which is a special needs killer whale that lives in the abyss). Followed by "plari," the microscopic abyss animals eaten by the orkba.

Kathleen said...

Stop me before I post again.

Ellen said...

If Unit 5 has to let 44 teachers go, how many are being let go in the whole state? Excuse me?
My Aunt Ruth was one that got Illinois to finally put these children IN schools. Where are our priorities?