About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cheer Up!


I took Jeremiah to the airport Monday morning.

He always looks so grown up when he's hauling his own luggage around. 

I didn't cry but I was pretty blue most of the morning.  Then my boss invited me out to lunch, that cheered me up!  Then I went to my doctor's appointment which was not as bad as it could have been so that cheered me up!  Then I invited Kathy over for some wine after dinner and that cheered me up!  Then Sierra called us downstairs to watch the scene in A League of Their Own that everyone remembers most:  the scene in which Tom Hanks yells There's no crying in baseball!  And right after that, he tells the umpire, Did anyone ever tell you that you look like a penis with a little hat on?

Well, that didn't just cheer me up, it made me laugh out loud.  Later Sierra did some wild dancing around with a pair of my underwear on her head.  That cheered me up slightly but seeing how large my underwear looked made me think about the size of my behind and I felt a little blue.  But just for a moment because her humor was too contagious.  Also some Girl Scout Cookies may have helped.  (Yes, helped cheer me up as they simultaneously increased the size of....)

After Sierra went to bed I Skyped with The Player To Be Named Later. That cheered me up a lot. 

This morning Sierra is going through her Memory Box in which she has found some items from her distant past...like 3 years ago.  Which seems like ancient history to her.  And the sound of her voice saying "awww!"  is really cheering me up.  She is also starting to pack for our trip to Chicago which I think is cheering her up.  We leave Saturday morning bright and early on the train.   We are staying at the Palmer House again this year, thanks to the miracle of Hotwire.com.    I'm excited about taking her to the Art Institute.   She's excited about a hotel with an indoor pool. 

I hope we will hear from The Boy today, that he arrived safe and sound and is going to have lunch with his abuelita.  Now that  will cheer her up, for sure!


4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Glad you are cheery! It was a delight to see Sierra with underwear on her head.

Ellen said...

You are a STRONG mother not to of cried when he left. Seems like I never mastered that.

Hope they got there with no delays and their weather is good for him.

Collagemama said...

Ah, the Palmer House, the Art Institute...You are cheering me up. What about "Cloud Gate"?

Kim said...

Collagemama - yes, of course, Millenium Park, Buckingham Fountain, the lakefront, all of that, too. Especially Saturday when we arrive since the weather is supposed to be nice that day.