About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Some Reminders

Sitting in the Ecuadorian Consulate closet, er very small waiting room, yesterday, I noticed a boy who must have been about 3.  He was climbing up on chairs, tables, taking a small newspaper apart and twirling the pages around, smiling at strangers, running around a bit, and generally just being his 3 year old self.  His mother only stopped him if danger was involved, otherwise she let him be his 3 year old self.  It was nice to watch.  Then he took her cell phone and figured out how to use the camera and took her picture while she was standing in line. 

Every adult in the place looked at each other and we shook our heads.  How do kids do that?  I did not confess to anyone that I have only been able to take photos on my new phone by accident.

Two very fashionably dressed women came in.  They wore lots of expensive looking jewelry and both had knee-high black boots with very high heels.  They looked like models.  They were the only people in the place who did not smile and talk to anyone else.  Well, the models and Oscar the Grouch, that is.

I was reminded of how laid back the people of Ecuador generally are.  How friendly.  How the women have beautiful long black hair.  How they are usually kind and patient.  How they wait in line in an unhurried way.  Their relationship to time.  How much I loved living there.

Then I went to lunch with Kathy at the Park Grill and watched people ice skating and ate a delicious salad called The Chop and our waitress was just fabulous and funny and cute and she had the coolest eyeglasses I have ever seen.   And I remembered how much I love living here.

On the way home Kathy read us a short story about a woman who has about 6 months left to live.  She is a widow with a 12 year old daughter.  The story reminded me how much I just love living.

I just wish I could figure out how to take pictures on my phone.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

I feel there are times in my life that were wonderful, but I can't go back. They have to be chapters we've lived and have now as memories. And we go on to the next chapter and look forward to how much we will enjoy it.

Collagemama said...

I can take ONE photo with my phone (and not of the inside of my purse). I'm making headway! After I take the photo it takes me a good half hour to figure out how to save it, send it, or delete it. It might be more useful to just make a memory!

ted tingley said...

Friday evening when I gained access to the internet the powers within my computer did not send me to Google. It sent me directly to Kathleen's blog. Now I know why.

Kathleen said...

I love living, too!