About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chicago is My Kinda Town

Day One.

Sierra's suitcase before we left.  Note flotation vest attached to outside of suitcase with large rubberband.  A cooperative, last-minute effort by mom and daughter.  All quiet on the southern front.  We were prepared in the event of a water-landing on Amtrak from Normal to Chicago, too.  In case we ended up in the Des Plaines River, I suppose.

Once in Chicago we walked the mile from the train station to our hotel, the Palmer House.  Open since 1871, the longest continuously open hotel in North America. 

This is the second year Sierra and I have stayed there during her spring break.  It is such a luxury for us, and only affordable thanks to the magic of Hotwire.  Our room was so small it was probably once a maid's closet, but it had a comfy king-sized bed and 2 bathrooms.  Sierra liked having her own bathroom.  I liked having my own bathroom, too.  We are now officially spoiled! 

Our adventures out of the hotel on Saturday afternoon included a visit to this place:





I love the dome and the staircases in the Cultural Center.  I've been in that building dozens of times and never tire of looking at them.



Later we walked through Millenium Park.   Sierra and I took about one hundred pictures of The Bean (aka Cloud Gate).  Here is one of them.  (Whew, you are spared the other 99!)



If you ask nicely maybe I'll post another one tomorrow.

Most of our meals were at the Corner Bakery because that's where Sisi wanted to eat and it fit the budget!  Yes, Chicago is a city of fabulous restaurants and we ate at a silly chain fast-food place, but keeping your 8 year old happy when you are dragging her to museum after museum is important.  And at the Corner Bakery we met Anna, who kept giving Sierra free food, including extra large portions of macaroni and cheese, as well as free cookies.  Anna turned out to be the manager.  I love it when a nice and competent person is in charge.  I could see she was not just nice to us, but all the customers and her employees as well.

Day Two.

We went to the Art Institute!  It was raining when we arrived but nice by the time we left.  Sierra was happy that the rain had stopped because she wanted to be photographed with the lions!


\
That's Sierra, not a real lion tamer, in case you were wondering.

Sierra seemed most drawn to modern art sculptures and ancient Egyptian art.  She has something of a fascination with mummies.  I think it's because she has a morbid fascination with the idea of taking someone's brain out through their nose.  Once they are no longer in need of the brain, that is.  She is an artist, but also a scientist!





Day Three:

We headed off to the Shedd Aquarium.  But by the time we got there the line outside was at least a block long, and I convinced Sierra that we would have more fun at the Field Museum of Natural History where there was no line at all!  She agreed, especially once I reminded her there would be more mummies.  We focused on the exhibits about ancient Egypt, the special exhibit on The Horse, and on Sue the T-Rex:


Ok, this time, I have No Idea what the pose is about.  I'm just the mom.

Today we catch up on laundry, and pack again for an adventure to our east!  More travelogues to follow.

7 comments:

ted tingley said...

Next time you have to take me. In the last picture it looks like Sierra was playing the part of the curator or what ever they call them.

Ellen said...

Sounds like a WONDERFUL time for Sierra AND Mom

Susan Ryder said...

Is she taking her flotation vest to Ohio?

Kathleen said...

What fun, love the pix, love Sierra's green shoes!

Unknown said...

Looks like such fun! And I love Corner Bakery, too!

Collagemama said...

I love the Green Shoe tour of Chicago and seeing so many of the places I went last May. The Field is one of my very favorite places. Corner Bakery travel is a pretty good plan, and a step up from Subway travel. That was the only place all three boys would eat, so we even had a few breakfasts there.

Connie Lou said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time! I love the pictures! I think Sierra is imitating a dinosaur in the last one. ;)