About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Happy Panic Day?

Why the heck is there a holiday called Panic Day?  Panic is not a word most of us want to celebrate.  In fact the words Do Not are usually found in front of the word Panic.  Unless the word in front of it is Widespread.

The Greek God Pan is at the root of the word panic.  I think of Pan as sort of an ornery little half-goat-half-human creature, but not something that could inspire terror.  But as I lack a true liberal arts education (that's right, I'm a self-made liberal) I do not know all the stories about Pan that are out there.  Somewhere along the line he must have struck fear into the hearts of...something or someone. 

Ok, I'm back from a quick browsing of Wikipedia...the self-made liberal's source for all things liberal-artish.  Wiki says that Pan is the god of shepherds and flocks, of mountain wilds, hunting and rustic music, as well as the companion of the nymphs.  He is associated with spring and fertility.  But he also took credit for causing fear in the hearts of the Titans when they attacked Olympus, and that event is said to be the root of the word Panic.  

As I write this I have the courageous people of the Middle East and North Africa on my mind.  The strength they show in standing up to the self-made gods in control of their countries is the opposite of panic.  I am sure there is fear there among the people, but there is a stronger resolve that inspires me.  I will keep them in my mind and heart today.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Yay for the people! (I do not say "Power to the people," because power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, which is something I remember from my liberal arts education.) Boo to self-made gods. Yay to self-made liberals! Yay to Pat Quinn who may be abolishing the death penalty in Illinois later today?! And yay to you.

Collagemama said...

I don't know why there would be a Panic Day unless it was to create awareness for anxiety disorders and the help available to treat them:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml

http://www.collagemama.com/2004/09/thanks-to-gregg-duane-and-dickey-betts.html

http://www.apa.org/topics/anxiety/panic-disorder.aspx