About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

When Weeds are Enough

I had volunteered to give a short prayer to open the steering committee meeting last night at church.  I chose to read the poem Praying by Mary Oliver, because April is Poetry Month and I didn't read a poem at church during Poetry Sunday this year. 

* * * * *

Praying

It doesn't have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones;  just pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.

Mary Oliver

* * * * *

Sometimes when I blog I manage to patch a few words together that open a doorway.  Usually it's a doorway to receive comments from my friends and family who read my blog.  I love those comments!  Amen to comments!

Prayer is tricky.  There is no right way, but it seems to me there are definitely some approaches that do not work for me.   Usually the best thing for me is to be quiet.  That isn't easy for me.  Not just not speaking, but also not thinking about what I need to pick up at The Jewel later and not fidgeting.  Walking in the woods is about the best way for me to really pray.  In spite of what Mary Oliver says, sometimes I do need the blue iris, the weeds aren't enough.   But when the weeds are enough to create that stillness within, then I know it's going to be a good day.

7 comments:

ron hardy said...

Beautiful poem, beautiful thoughts Kim. Amen

ted tingley said...

I liked yor blog. So did Terra.

Kathleen said...

I am glad I am your friend and get to read and comment in your blog.

Yes, to blue iris, weeds, and silence. Yes, also, to hedgehogs.

Susan Ryder said...

So glad that the Medici quotes did not make the blog this morning ...

Kim said...

Susan, just you wait girlfriend!

Susan Ryder said...

Nope too late. You said the quotes were for today's blog and today's blog is over. The end.

Collagemama said...

This is a beautiful post and exactly what I needed. Paying attention, noticing, walking, finding the stillness within. Taking my camera on the walk helps me find that stillness and attention, to find the amazing perfect logical surprisingness of the whole world.