About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mandate

The sky is a beautiful shade of blue this morning and I'm so glad to see it.  I have missed you, blue sky!  I have missed you so while you were preening behind those gray clouds the past week.  Ahh, welcome back.  Please do not feel the need to rush off again and fix your hair or makeup, you are loved and wanted just like you are.  Ok, maybe with just a little more warmth please.  After all it's late April and 35 degrees is somewhat nippy.  Not that I'm complaining, just, um, noticing. 

Perhaps by the time I cut the grass this afternoon it will be in the 50s.  That would be swell. 

It is Maundy Thursday.  This year I am wondering what the word maundy means, exactly.   (I probably have wondered about that before, found the answer, and then forgotten it by the time it rolls around again the next year.  If you know that to be true, kindly refrain from sharing the details of my forgetfulness.)  Wikipedia says there is more than one theory.  My favorite is that it is derived from the Latin word for mandate, because at the Last Supper Jesus gave his disciples a new commandment or mandate:  Love one another as I have loved you.  

Indeed. 

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

So what you are saying is that it's Blue Maundy Thor's Day?!

Mandate, eh. That's why the poem-a-day prompt is justice, or a gavel.

Susan Ryder said...

You are very wise, and as smart as this web site!

http://www.gotquestions.org/Maundy-Thursday.html

Collagemama said...

As a kid I remember being very confused about Maundy Thursday and Good Friday because of the Good Friday earthquake: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1964_03_28.php
and "Monday Monday" by the Mamas and the Papas. Then there was that whole Shroud of Turin question, and rhyming with "laundry". I appreciate Susan's website link, but I'm still confused as an alleged adult.