About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Monday, April 25, 2011

Behavior Modification

It's no secret that my J-dude has been struggling with school, both grades and behavior issues.  Last week we had a follow-up with his doctor, who I adore, and she changed the dosage of one of his medications.  We are all (parents, teachers, sister, and J-dude) hoping this will make a difference for him.

This morning was such a good morning.  The kids were both calm and happy, there was no sibling rivalry and in fact they were helping each other get ready.  Jeremiah wanted to make breakfast for his sister.  While he and I were in the kitchen, he asked if he could have some graham crackers.  Yes, yes, I said.  Not a problem.  He ate some graham crackers.  Sierra ate some graham crackers.  Then at that moment when almost every morning all heck breaks lose (time to actually get stuff together to get out the door), the cooperation and kindness between them only intensified.

I think it was the graham crackers. 


I'm having one right now and I suddenly feel an overwhelming sense of happiness and wellbeing.  I think we should all buy stock in Nabisco, then we will get this information out on CNN.  Not only will everyone feel good, but some of us might make a few bucks. 

I checked the ingredients for a clue, but I think that it is probably the last item on the list:  Artificial Flavors.

I mentioned the graham cracker theory to the kids on the way to school.  Sierra suggested that we have smores for breakfast everyday.  I think that sounds heavenly but not likely.  If I ate smores for breakfast everyday I think the only thing that would happen is that I'd get smore width on my otherwise happy behind.   But I did say we could maybe add them to the Friday Night Sleepover Party ritual.  So if you want to feel happy with us Friday night, just stop by and don't forget the marshmallows!


5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Honey, you have sweetened my morning with a drop of local honey!

Ellen said...

Yea for Nabisco. That would make a good commercial. Of course Jeremiah and Sierra would star in it.

ted tingley said...

I think I will get your mother some grahsm crackers.

Collagemama said...

Listened to "The Splendid Table" on NPR yesterday and heard from Dan Buettner that the ultimate breakfast for long-life happiness is slow-cooked oatmeal with walnuts.

Strangely, graham crackers date from a nineteenth century religious cult, which I learned while listening to a book on cd about the Jacksonian Era while stuck in a prolonged highway construction traffic jam in Kentucky a couple years ago. It is the only factoid I retained. I like the cinnamon graham crackers best, and await your scientific enquiries.

ted tingley said...

Getting stuck in traffic in Kentucky has been going on on forever and still is.