About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Just One Question

Yesterday I stepped outside in the late afternoon and heard chirping sounds, happy chirping sounds coming from inside my grill.  The starlings flew out the little holes on the side and back to the elm tree.  I realized I probably won't be grilling anytime soon.  I don't have the heart to tear up their nest.  

Does anyone know how long starlings take to hatch?  

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Darling starlings, soon to take over the world!

(I have a poem called "Winter Starlings" coming out in Sweet in September...!)

Happy Administrative Professionals Day, you random holiday woman, you!

Connie Lou said...

Well, according to this source: http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/classification/pdfs/LR_EuropeanStarling.pdf, Starlings incubate their eggs for approximately 12 - 15 days. "They fledge at 21 - 23 days old and are self-sufficient 7 - 10 days after fledging." Sounds like about a month after they hatch, you can use your grill again. Time for a new grill? Or a new habitat for their nest? :)

Susan Ryder said...

If there are no eggs in it yet you aren't committing bird-murder if you destroy the nest -- they'll just build elsewhere. We've done it, and the starling populations has survived. Not to mention there are too many starlings in Blo/No anyway.

Collagemama said...

Can you turn it into a science fair project?

ted tingley said...

Starlings are for the birds. Plug the hole.