About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day of Big Wind

April 12, 1934.  The winds at the top of Mount Washington, at the Observatory, were recorded at 231 miles per hour.  No tornado or hurricane, just regular old-fashioned ridiculously big winds.  That's why April 12th is Big Wind Day.

Of course it might be that the residents of some nearby New Hampshire town just ate lots and lots of beans on April 11th.

Mount Washington Observatory has a website in which they claim that the top of Mount Washington at just over 6000 feet elevation has the worst weather anywhere.  I'm pretty sure I went up there on my trip to New England in the summer of 1991.  I'm pretty sure that I was in New Hampshire trying to head to Maine when a hurricane, Hurricane Bob, sent us west instead of east.  So I visited Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame instead.   Maine is one of the two states I have still never visited.  Because of some potential Big Wind.

You could celebrate Big Wind Day in a number of ways, which I will leave to either 1.  your imagination, or 2. some clever people to describe in the comments.

Tootle-oooh!



 

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hey, I'm celebrating already! On average, 17 times a day! Toot toot!

ron hardy said...

Immortalized forever in the side of a tin cup are the words I spoke upon leaving a camp site up in Engineer Pass, Colorado with my brother Dave: "I'm ready to break camp or break wind."

Susan Ryder said...

I actually went to the top of Mount Washington with Bob's parents on the old Cog railway, it was a lovely ride. The old steam engine sputtered and tooted on the way up -- it's in the back and pushes the passenger car up the mountain. It was summer (August) and we were in shorts and T-shirts, but when we got up to the top it was very windy and very cold, so we didn't stay up there long.

In this video it's not very windy but you can hear the train toot!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFOZMErVby4