About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, April 10, 2011

April is the New July!

It was sunny and in the 70s yesterday, a perfect summer day.  In the afternoon I sat outside at Kathy's picnic table with Kathy and with our friend Tim who is visiting from Austin, Texas. I thanked him profusely for bringing warm weather up from the south with him on this visit.  He was here this week to help his parents move into an assisted living apartment.  The work was done, so Tim had a little hanging-out time.  He called me in the morning while I was working and I didn't answer because at first I didn't recognize the number.  I was with a patient, a young guy who just had his seven-millionth knee surgery.

At least I thought I didn't answer.  But I think my phone has a secret button on the side.  I think the use of that button is "the opposite of what you think you are doing by pressing stuff on the touch screen."  I think the inventor of that button is a 20-something kid from Santa Cruz, California, who sits around on the beach every weekend laughing his a** off thinking to himself, "hahaha...old suckers!"  So while Joe Techno-Dude was having a margarita and laughing himself silly, I was joking around with my patient.

Here is what I said:
"I'm not going to answer that, I'm not sure who it is."

Anonymous patient:  "Go ahead, I don't mind."

Me:  "No, it's not my boyfriend.  If it was I'd let you answer it."

Anonymous patient:  "I would say...YO!  Whaddya want?  We're kinda busy here!"

AP's wife and I laughed, then we all got back to the business of me making him do his danged exercises. 

Later I went to find that "missed call" and lo-and-behold (Behold is one of my favorite words, ever since those cheese commercials in the 90s that said "behold!  the power of cheese!") it was not there.  I went on to my next patient's house.  I saw my next patient.  Then on the way home it occured to me to check...Received Calls!  ACK!  There it was and then I recognized it as Tim's number.

Politely, Tim claimed he could only hear the laughing.  And being of the same age, he claimed to understand my phancy phone diphiculties.

So we got together, drank a little Beaujolais (Mr. Beaujangles-Ole!) and ate some bread, some bleu cheese, some brie, and some drunken goat cheese though not in ball form.  It's great to sit with people you have known for ... oh, my, over 40 years!...and enjoy the sunshine.

Life is so so good.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I so enjoyed my afternoon with my composite friends Tim Kingley and Beaujolina Jolie!

Collagemama said...

I should just have a voice mail that says I'm too uncoordinated to get my phone out of my pocket so please leave a message and I'll call you back.

Unknown said...

Love it. Life IS good!