About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My New Wheels!

I mowed my front yard yesterday evening all by myself for the first time in several years.  I decided not to have Oscar the Grouch take care of my yard this summer.  Yes, yes, I am proud of myself!  Not only did I mow the front yard all by myself but I purchased and assembled an 18 inch Remington reel mower all by myself!   I had to explain to two of my neighbors that you could still get these babies at Sears and Roebuck, and that indeed No Gas Is Required!   That's right, I will not have to pay $4/gallon to get my grass cut. 

Later today I will mow the back yard all by myself!  With the same self-assembled mower.  Did I mention that I got 3 discounts on that mower...$10 off the regular price, a discount for applying for a Sears card, and a discount for then using the same Sears card to buy the mower.  Ha!  I am feeling proud of myself, very very proud.

"Pride goeth before a fall" just popped into my head. Ooops.  Well, if I fall down then I won't be proud and I will be explaining to someone how that fall was so dumb...and I will be telling that person as I am paying them to finish cut my grass, so I think I will now try to practice a little humility or perhaps just some humidity if I can't muster the humility today.

Yesterday while driving my car and talking with the new physical therapist that is coming to work for us, the humidity must have accelerated to the point where my hair could no longer be contained by the barrette holding it back.  Without warning the clasp came undone and the barrette flew off and snapped me in the back.  Either it was the humidity or my car is haunted.  We laughed about that and I decided I had better opt for the soft scrunchie to hold my hair back the rest of the day.  So I guess I've already practiced humidity and better muster up some humility. 

But, but, but...look at this:

so sleek and simple!  So gas-free!  So, wait, I think my handle is on backwards! 

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Oh no, I think that's so you can put it in reverse, isn't it?

You did good, girl.

ron hardy said...

I like the little dung catcher on the back. That way you can compost! Woo woo.

Kathleen said...

I love your lawnmower. I think we still have our little red reel mower in the garage. I hope so, anyway. I used to mow the lawn with it in Chicago!

Susan Ryder said...

Congrats! You have every reason to be proud of yourself. And this kind of pride is not a sin - your minister says so, so it must be true.

Great lawn mower! If you can remove the "dung catcher" Ron is so excited about, you can do what we do and leave the clipping in the grass (ours is a mulching mower) which helps feed the grass, protect it from summer heat (and you don't have to empty the dung catcher). Okay, yes, it's all about the lazy.