About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, April 28, 2011

After the Tornado

I've been writing a poem-a-day this month, well almost every day, thanks to Kathy's poetry prompts that she shared for Poetry Month.  On Monday I wrote a poem called After the Tornado.  When I got up this morning and saw the news about the devastation across the southeast, I decided to go back and re-read my poem.  Here it is.


After the Tornado


i.
The wind is gentle today.
Like an apologetic lover he feels only regret over yesterday’s anger
He knows I didn’t deserve that unkindness but it can’t be undone

ii.
The wind is playful today.
He thinks it’s forgiven. Forgotten.
He’s naïve the way wind and rain must be.

iii.
The wind is warm and loving today.
He caresses me.
I want to trust him but something inside me holds me back.

iv.
The wind is rough today.
He tosses my lawn chairs around the yard.
When I look puzzled, he says, “Get over it. I’m going to do whatever I want here.”

v.
I try to leave wind behind.
He takes half the day off, then begins to follow me.
He laughs when I threaten to call the authorities.

vi.
All night I wonder, when is he going to haunt me again?
I can’t sleep and my stomach cramps.
In the morning I call in sick, but wind is whistling as he works.

vii.
I hear that wind has moved down south for a couple of days.
He’s a serial killer.
I don’t know how to warn my sisters.

viii.
I drive east and see the wind turbines using him.
I picture myself tall and powerful like them.
I know that I am twisted and broken.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

My children never cease to amaze me. You are good, Kim. PLEASE share this with more than your blog readers.

Kathleen said...

Yes, this is gorgeous and scary. The two-ness of it amazing, how it is both human and weather throughout.

verification word: illyels

Connie Lou said...

Great poem, Kim!

Collagemama said...

Oh, Lordy! This is good. I feel like I lived with that wind for many years, always testing to see which way it was blowing. I like the turbine image very much. There's a mythic feeling, too, because the wind is father of the earth's children...

ted tingley said...

I would call After The Tornado "Clouds Like Wrinkles in Cotton".