About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, September 3, 2010

Prayer

I volunteered to give the opening reflection at our church steering committee next week, like a little short prayer thingy to get us started.  I have some experience writing prayers, as my parents can tell you.  When asked to say grace at a young age, I usually said God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for this food, Amen.   But one night the creative spark awoke in my four year old heart and I bowed my head and said...


Dear God, thank you for this food that I know I'm not going to like but I know I'm going to have to eat it anyway.


I'm not sure if I said Amen at the end or not.  Ted and Ellen may be able to offer some historical perspective on that.


Well, since then I've had prayers of all kinds that I've composed, usually silently but not always.


Recently..,


Dear God!  WHAT was I thinking?


God please let the Cubs win the World Series, or if that can't happen please let Barack be elected president.  (that one from 2008)...since then...


Dear God, sorry if I am starting to sound greedy but I found out in 2008 that if I ask for 2 things I can usually get one of them...


God don't you dare let a tornado hit the ground here while I am driving in a tiny car with 2 kids in the back seat.  You get us home Safely, you hear me!


(Sometimes a direct tone is best.)


God please send me to my room for 10 minutes of peace and quiet.


There are others but I don't want you to get the idea that I'm really all pious-y or anything. 
So, for the Steering Committee next week, I'm thinking something like this:


Dear God, please let this meeting be short and to the point.  If you can make this happen, some of us are planning to go to the Medici afterwards and toast your greatness with wine and artichoke dip.  Amen.


How's that sound?  Ok, maybe I'd better find something else to read by a real spiritual writer/thinker/be-er...oops, not a spiritual beer, a spiritual being.  Like Karen Armstrong, or maybe Bill Cosby.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Excellent prayer. It's the kind of thing that makes me want to be on the steering committee. Except that I'm a bad driver.
http://www.levelerpoetry.com/a-moving-vehicle/

ted tingley said...

And GOD said,"IT IS GOOD."

ted tingley said...

And blogspot said REELY COL.