About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Homegirls

September is quite a holiday-filled month according to the website I use to fill my blog-idea bank when the deposits are running low.  There are lots of choices, but today I am picking two that caught my attention above all others.


One is Women's Friendship Month.  Where would I be without my homegirls?  My gosh, I can only imagine.  If not for Kathleen I still might be sitting in Chicago in that coffeeshop in Andersonville crying.  It was her 3 little words that woke me up:  Move to Normal!  Also the countless other times you have saved my ass emotionally.  And made me think.  And made me laugh.  And to infinity and beyond!


Susan, my spiritual advisor.  Okay, that's an exaggeration.  My book-club-forming, red-wine-drinking, fun-loving, amazingly intelligent and humorous and compassionate-in-her-own-way kind of gal, also my pastor.  I heart your retreats, and your reflections, and all the times I get to come to your house and hang out.  And I heart that you have brought me two other female friends:  P-Dub and Janet.


Sisters Connie and Jill (no they are not nuns, they are my real sisters) are my amigas fabulosas.  Different in many ways that I love them for, but we share that weird growing-up-with-Ted-and-Ellen sense of humor.  Like what breasts are REALLY called.  (Shhh...it's a family secret, girls!)  Jill shows me resilience like no one else ever has.  And Connie has been making me laugh since she was two years old and would drink juice then say "ahhh, good beer." 


Well, this list could go on and on.  And it will:


Jeannie, you know.  I don't have to say anymore.  Aniko.  Feli.  Jodi.  Rosita (who won't be reading this 'cause it's in English.)


Mom, I love it that you are my friend as well as my momma.  And I am so glad you are moving back to Normal so I can see you more!  Now I can finally have someone to act out Yogi  Bear and Booboo skits with again.  


Well, if I have forgotten anyone, just remember that I'm gettin' older, and it's danged early in the morning.  Feel free to comment if you think I have overlooked someone!  There are others but if they don't read my blog they might not get mentioned.  HA!


Wait, did I say there was another holiday in September worth mentioning?  I changed my mind.  Maybe another day. 

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Well, I hadn't thought of that. Do I have to buy a wringer washer and wash tub so we can take longer to act out our stories?

I know ONE holiday you better NOT forget in September. It's on September 26 and if it weren't for that birthday you'd still be sitting on the moon eating green cheese or green humous.

Ellen said...

For all the other readers, her mother can't spell either. I see I spelled Hummus wrong. I think it's too many of the words we have to spell at the end of these comments. :)

Kathleen said...

I am glad to have saved your ass. And to be your friend.

Susan Ryder said...

Awwwwwwww, thank you -- didn't see this until this morning. That'll teach me -- should have read it yesterday, would have helped me deal with my day better. Now I shall go think about what "compassionate-in-her-own-way" means -- I'm guessing it involves cursing like a sailer.

Unknown said...

thanks to my amazing big sis. I love you.