About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Late Start

Today is the first of ten "Late Start" days for Unit 5 school district.  The kids don't have to be at school until 9:30 today.  Usually they are at their dad's house on Wednesday mornings, but they stayed with me last night so that their dad could work late to make one of his clients extra happy.  The joys of being self-employed.

I like this Late Start thing.  It means we all get to laze around an extra hour, kind of like when the clock changes back in the fall and we get an extra hour of sleep.  Well, you get an extra hour of sleep if your kids or dog or circadian rhythms don't wake you up at the usual time, that is.

Today I hit the snooze at 6 a.m. and slept a bit later, too.  It is almost 7 a.m., and I'm usually getting ready to hop in the shower then wake the kids about now.  But instead I'm sitting on my happy behind and blogging.  Wolf is snoring on the couch next to me.  He will wake up as soon as he thinks there is even half a chance that someone will take him around the block.  Sierra has been taking him on her scooter, trying to get him to pull her like a sled dog.  I'm not sure what happens when he stops to pee, but so far she has not reported flying off the scooter from sudden stops.  I think she has the situation under control.


She is wearing the "just in case he poops" plastic bag accessory like a backpack.  We did have the conversation about not wearing it like that if she had to use it to pick up the poop.  "Yes, Mom, I know!"

At the other end of the workday spectrum, yesterday I had an Early Finish.  My last patient of the day cancelled her appointment when it was too late to fill the spot.  Bless her heart!  I came home and took a nap for about an hour.  Woke up hungry.  I ate some lunch, then rearranged a few pieces of furniture to accomodate the little bookcase that Mom and Dad brought me.  (It used to be mine, they bought it from me several years back, then gave it to me for free this weekend.  What a good deal that turned out to be for me.  I wonder if they want to "buy" any more of my furniture?  I'd be glad to sell them some, just in the tradition of Helping Them.)

I moved the other not-so-nice bookcase into the kitchen, covered the top of it with a pretty scarf,  moved the crappy plastic shelves I had in that spot downstairs to the "office" corner of the family room, and voila! everthing looks great. 

Or better, anyway.

Architectural Digest will not be out anytime soon, though.

So, this week I also get an Early Finish as I am taking Friday off work.  About mid-day I will head to Elk Grove Village and stay at the very posh Holiday Inn that night.  On Saturday I will take a class on Pilates for PTs at the very same posh Holiday Inn.  That means I will be spending the day finding out how my abs are completely out of shape.  I will be paying $225 for this privilege. (Ok, I need the class to keep my PT license.)  I think when the day is over, I will be in desparate need of a big plate of hummus. 



3 comments:

Ellen said...

Told your dad you'd have to re-arrange the whole house when we brought the book case back. You did good. ANYTIME we can HELP just let us know. You'll earn every bit of our HELP before we leave this planet dear.

Kathleen said...

Likewise, starting late around here!

Have fun with your abs and hummus!!

Susan Ryder said...

Can someone explain this "late start" thing to me? Why are they doing it? Do they go later in the afternoon too? Life was simpler when I was in school ...