About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oakdale's Fabulous Fishing Club

This morning while perusing my email, I happened to look at the weekly Border's Coupon to see if it was one I could use.  It is!  And I just used one yesterday to buy 2 books for my kids.  It was a 40% off any 2 paperbacks.  So we went to Borders after school and after Jeremiah's Fishing Club meeting (More on that later.)  Sierra picked out a Halloween book and Jeremiah got a Kids Almanac for 2011. 

Today's coupon is for 33% off any one item (excluding some things like magazines, gift cards, etc.).  Below the coupon were some books that Borders recommends "Just For You!" meaning just for me, Kim Tingley.  Book number one's title was Dork Diaries:  Tales from a Not-so-fabulous Life.

Well.

Hmphh.

So, back to Fishing Club.  (Not-so-fabulous, indeed!)  Oakdale Elementary School has not had a Chess Club for two years, since Miss Webb transferred to Kingsley Jr High and left us without a sponsor.  But for the 4th and 5th graders there is Fishing Club on Mondays after school.  One week there is a meeting and the next week a fishing trip.  Some parents volunteer to drive and stick around to help, apparently.  I think I might be off the hook (hahaha) as Jeremiah is pretty sure he can ride with Ben's dad who we know from baseball.  Coach Todd is Ben's dad and a good guy.  Whew.

The sponsor of Fishing Club used to be Mr. Custer the Art teacher who had a reputation for not putting up with any bull-poopy from the students and who was said to wield a mean yardstick with which he would slap the table to get kids' attention.  I imagine the fish would just jump in his net on command.  Mr. Custer retired last year so this year Mrs. Ogdon is picking up the slack.  She is the Music Teacher Formerly Known as Miss Jones.  Last time I spoke with her, she said the kids were pretty much freaking out about her new name, especially the first graders, and telling her that Ogdon is the hardest name ever to pronounce.  Hmm.

Well, Mrs. O is petite, nice, and blonde.  Not your stereotypical fishing guide.  But I am sure she is great.  Anyone willing to spend extra unpaid time with a bunch of 9-11 year old boys and girls with worms and hooks gets an A+ in my book.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Fish Stories: Embellished Tails from a Fantastically Fabulous Life, by Kim Tingley!

ted tingley said...

If Mrs O ,petite,nice,and blonde can fish and
cut bait maybe she could teach you and I might
be off hook.

Susan Ryder said...

Dork Diaries? hahahahahaha!