About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Parts

Warning:  This blog posting contains the V word.

On Tuesday night I tried to watch the season two premiere episode of Parenthood.  But about 15 minutes into the show true parenthood called and I had to turn the TV off and attend to one of my children.  Funny how that happened. 

At the beginning of the episode, a little girl who is about five is at the playground with her parents sitting on the sides watching her play.  She runs over to them and asks, "Did I come from a vagina?"

The dad flips out, the mom plays it cool and answers Yes, yes you did.  Then she asks if her mom came from a vagina?  Dad says "ice cream would be really good right now." and the girl ignores him and her mom answers the question, again with a yes.  Then she asks her dad the same question.  Finally he gives in and says Yes. 

The little girl says "WOW!  Our whole family came from vaginas!"  Then she runs back to the playground yelling that information at the top of her lungs to her playmate who, one assumes, started this line in inquiry in the first place. 
The mom looks after her and says "She is so smart." 

I loved that scene.  But probably I loved it because my kids don't seem to know that word yet.  I guess they aren't quite so "smart."  They seem to know the names of the private parts that are visible.  Those would be the Boy Parts.   But they don't seem to know the names of the private parts that are not visible.  Those would be the Girl Parts.  Hmm.  Well, that will change in due time.  And about the same time we will find the alligator in that darned Cialys commerical. 

One of my patients referred to hers the other day as "Where We Keep The Good China."  I thought I would die laughing but somehow I managed to live to tell the story. 

I did get to see the rest of the episode last night while the kids were at their dad's, by watching it on NBC.com.  I am completely hooked on Parenthood.  And Phonics!  And hummus, of course.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

I call mine Virginia.

OMG, I can't believe I said that on the Internet.

Susan Ryder said...

I love "where we keep the good china!" Must have been an old lady?

I prefer "lady bits" or Va-Jay-Jay (but always Virginia when referring to Kathleen's china cabinet).

ted tingley said...

This is a little out of my field.

Collagemama said...

One of my students can't distinguish between elevators and alligators. Some call every color of the rainbow, "rellow". Most of them can't remember to flush and wash, even though they use a half roll of toilet paper every visit. So why can they remember "vagina"?