About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Kholestrol Festival

Today I have some very exciting news to report.  No, not really, just kidding.  I didn't buy an elephant and  World Peace still eludes us, though I was invited and accepted the invitation to send an email to BO and HC asking them to step up the "pressure" to keep Israel and Palestine at the peace talk table.

Yesterday I made a delicious quiche.  I almost didn't make it because of course the ingredients are 1. fat, 2. cholestrol, 3. more fat, 4. a couple little veggies thrown in to make it seem healthier, 5. extra cholestrol.  Put it in a pie crust (made with canola oil for a little less fat).  Bake. The veggies weren't even that fat-free except for the broccoli.  (I used a little sauteed onion, some artichoke hearts, black olives, and the aforementioned broccoli.)  

The crust was, dare I say it, perfect.

I fed this quiche, along with salad and some good french bread, to my friend Willemina, while we watched a terminally long movie called "I am Khan."  The movie was good, though too too long (2 hours and 41 minutes according to the label on the Netflix packet) and as W said, "over the top" at times.  Yes, I would agree.   It was also a visually beautiful film on timely topics including Autism, personal violence against Muslims in the US after 9-11, and helping our neighbors whoever they may be.  The acting was quite good as well.  So I guess it gets 1-and-a-half thumbs up more or less.

The quiche, however, gets a solid two thumbs up.

Next week I am getting my cholestrol checked so I will be NOT eating quiche or anything like it between now and then.  So if you are reading my blog just for the fat content, you can take the next 6 days off!  HA!

10 comments:

Ellen said...

I would be disappointed if you said your crust was ANYTHING but perfect. How two women can take the same recipe and one can ruin it is beyond me but I just do not have a pie crust thumb. :)

Kathleen said...

I love your beautiful eggs, your adorable humor, and learning stuff from you.

Red yeast rice. A natural statin.

Kim said...

Kathy - also ground flax seeds, which I eat every day, 2-3 Tablespoons. And Mom, my pie crust = Your Homemade Bread...YUM!

Ellen said...

When we get moved you and I can open a shop in UPPITY TOWN NORMAL, right?

Susan Ryder said...

I would come to that store if you do open one -- maybe call it UPPITY NORMAL WOMEN?

Anonymous said...

I will come to your shop whenever I'm in town, and buy lots of quiche and bread - and other stuff, too, I'm sure. (I haven't made quiche in years - reading about yours makes my mouth water!) pw

Kim said...

A store in Uppity Town has been on my mind, too...or a Spa because that is really an uppity thing. A spa where pie and home made bread are served would be a big hit! Pie and a facial. Fresh bread and a pedicure. What could be better? If anything is, I'm sure we'll think of it. We can serve good coffee and have Kathleen reading poetry aloud every afternoon. Girls, we are onto something here.

Ellen said...

Maybe Mark could come play his guitar too.

ted tingley said...

If I come visit I'll leave my harmonica at home.

Susan Ryder said...

What could be better? If we served booze in our shop too. Wine, cheese, bread, pedi.