About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, September 17, 2010

The Fundamental Glue

I just read a brief interview with Jessica Maxwell on a blog by Susan Baller-Shephard that some of you also follow.  There was one quote I wanted to share with those of you who don't:

"the fundamental glue of the universe is, in fact, love...or a force for whose magnificence we have no word full enough."

My first years in Sunday School I had two "old lady" teachers.  I have no idea how old Miss Heller and Miss Cox were, but they seemed really old to me at the time.  I remember the first two verses they taught us to recite.  Love One Another and God is Love.

Many times I have thought perhaps we should have just stopped there.  

In my Sunday morning group that is reading and discussing Saving Jesus from the Church we wondered aloud last week what kind of God was Jesus trying to reveal.  The answer that resonated most with me was God as Unconditional Love. 

This sounds simple but living it is not.  Today I will be trying to love unconditionally while driving in Chicagoland traffic.  I can see the challenges in that situation before they arise.  There will be others, though, that I can't anticipate.  I will fail.  But I will get back on the horse and ride again.  I think I'm going to start carrying a little glue stick with me wherever I go, just as a reminder.  Prayer beads for some, Elmers for me!

4 comments:

Susan Ryder said...

I bet your old lady teachers were in their 50's. Oy.

Have a great, safe, loving trip!

Ellen said...

I had forgotten all about Miss Heller and Miss Cox.

Kathleen said...

Safe and loving travels to you!

Another fundamental glue is banana goo. I'm not kidding. I did some research on bananas recently. Also my wooden lazy susan is now permanently glued together with banana goo from a dripping banana.

Sigh....

Kim said...

Kathy, I will not be carrying a dripping gooey banana as a reminder to love unconditionally. Not that I don't unconditionally love all bananas, you know.