About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Phamous Phone Calls

I am so happy to report to my friends and family that read my blog that yesterday the Bloomington Pantagraph ran a Letter to the Editor written by several members of our congregation who are clergy...Susan and Bob Ryder, Jim Turner, Jim Pruyne, and others.  (I mention those names as they were most active in the writing and coincidentally my mom knows all of them!!!)  The letter is a response to the anti-Islamic sentiment currently being voiced the US.  It is a wonderful letter and you can read it on Susan's blog. 

AND when you go to Susan's blog to read her letter, you will find much to your amazement that Senator Dick Durbin read the letter and then CALLED our little church office at NCC to thank and congratulate us on being a voice of reason and compassion in this crazy world.  Susan missed his call by 10 minutes but was able to save his voice message and play it over and over for us at book group last night, which was great fun.  She also transcribed the voice message on her blog so you can read that too.  And a funny imaginary conversation that Susan might have had with Senator Durbin if she had been there to answer the phone. 

Here is a link to her blog     Dog is my Co-Pilot

I wonder who will call today? 

3 comments:

Ellen said...

WOW!!! Now will one of you do something about this NUT in Florida that is going to burn the Koran Saturday?

Kathleen said...

I heard on NPR that the local imam had a chat with this pastor, and maybe it will all work out. "I leave it to him and God," said the wise and patient fellow.

It also appears that the Gainesville pastor would change his mind if the White House calls. Maybe Dick Durbin wouldn't mind calling that fellow, too, and telling him about the wise and patient clergy in Normal, Illinois!

My euphorigamic brain has lived in both these towns, Gainesville from 9 months through kindergarten, and Normal more than once thereafter...

Susan Ryder said...

George Clooney has not called yet. I am sitting on, err, by the phone.