About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Minutes of the Meeting

Yesterday morning everything that could have gone awry seemed to do just that.  The kids were fighting with each other to a degree that gave me a headache and caused them to lose 2 of their most prized privileges for the day.  Work brought it's own headaches as well. 

BUT the weather was stunning.  I finished work on time by some act of Divine Providence.  And so I got to relax a little in the afternoon.  I decided I would pick up the kids a little early, before they headed over to their dad's house, and we could have a little Family Meeting about the problems of the morning. 

The meeting went well.  I baked chocolate chip cookies for the meeting.  The kids sat and we outlined three concerns for each child.  I asked them to make suggestions and they did, and they agreed between themselves on some compromises.  All went very well.  Sierra then said she would like to make some notes in her notebook. 

One of the issues we have been working on is that Sierra tends to scream when Jeremiah does something to bother her.  Just to give you an idea, yesterday morning she screamed as if the Loch Ness monster had risen from the kitchen sink.  But no, it was just her brother chewing with his mouth open to bug her.  So I asked Sierra at the meeting if she would please refrain from screaming unless she is hurt so that when I hear her scream I will know she needs me to come and help her.

Later after she left, I happened to glance at the notebook in which she had written:

Don't skrim unless you are bliding.

Ok.  Well then.  I can see we need to work on spelling as well. 

3 comments:

Susan Ryder said...

Spelling aside, it's nice that she got the point! Oh, and I love your meeting style, with the outlining of three concerns. Such a good mother you are!

Kathleen said...

Great meeting! And don't worry about the spelling until 5th grade.

Ellen said...

Yes, she IS a good mother.