About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Joe and Pontius, the Pilates Brothers

I was correct when I said I'd be paying $225 for the privilege of learning my abs are weak.  But because it cost a pretty penny, I found out that my Transverse Abdominus is weak, my Interior and Exterior Obliques are weak, my Rectus Abdominus is weak, and I verified what I already suspected about my Latissimus Dorsi which is that it is not weak but tight. 

My Gluteus Medius and Maximus are not tight.

My hamstrings are just downright lazy.

My lab partner and I were popping Advil by the end of the day to ensure we would be able to walk today.  (I can.)

The class probably will be more applicable to my own health and well-being than ideas I can use with my patients.  I have enough trouble getting my patients to breath in through their noses and out through their mouths without adding holding in their stomachs, keeping their lumbar spine in neutral, raising their legs up off the bed then trying a little sit-up.  HA.

I tried that yesterday. 

I found out that Pilates was founded by a German guy names Joe Pilates who was born in the 1880s.  He was living in England when WW1 broke out and was detained in a camp where he invented this exercise program when trying to help German soldiers who were injured and sent to the same camp.

I am glad to find out that Pilates was not invented by Pontius Pilate.

When I got home last night I had some hummus (pine nuts inside) and some calamata olives and some grapes.  Then I sat on the couch and watched the Cubs win again.  Ho hummus!  Today the announcers said they are going to play a lot of their minor league prospects together in the game.  That should be downright joyous, if they win.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

I am afraid to ask what the Latissimus Dorsi is.

Kim said...

Just a muscle that goes from your low back to your humerus...that's your arm bone, not your funny bone.

Susan Ryder said...

I don't even want to know about the pubic bone.