About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, May 6, 2010

National Day of Post-Party Prayer

There was guacamole.  There was bean dip.  There were taquitos.  There were chicken burrito makings.  There was music.  There were great people.  There was Corona beer.   There was no hummus, but there were two kinds of margaritas. 

Now that Cinco de Mayo is over for 2010, we can move on.  To today.  Which is a National Day of Prayer.

The National Day of Prayer has been a federal holiday since 1952.   Harry S Truman signed the bill that made it so.  Or he might have pointed his index finger at his Ensign and said "Make it so."  Or, no that would be if Jean Luc Picard had made it so.  Nevermind.

Anyway, as you can imagine, there is some great controversy involving lots of people who are fervently for prayer, fervently against anything that smacks of church-state involvement, and some highly paid lawyers.  Sadly, just having a day set aside in case anyone who doesn't usually pray decides to do so has stirred up an ongoing controversy and battle.

This brings to mind the story Nikki told at the party last night.  She works at our local state university, as the Queen of Wellness for faculty, staff, and more recently for students, too.  She has done some controversial things in her time, I'm sure, but was shocked when she received a call telling her that she shouldn't have Yoga Classes available on campus as that violated separation of church and state.  After her bottom jaw was retrieved from the floor, she did finally figure out it was some kook calling her and not the ACLU or the campus President.  So now she has not one, but six classes available on campus.

So today I think I will pray for reason in the whole controversy of church-state separation.  Just as long as no one tells me to whom/what or when I have to pray, I don't mind a federal reminder that it's not a bad idea once in a while.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

OK, as soon as you mentioned Jean Luc Picard, I went into holodeck fantasy mode.

Once I returned to reality and your blog and read on, I went into yoga-with-Jean-Luc-Picard mode.

Pray for me.

Kim said...

I'm thinking JLP will be prominently featured in Accidental Vows

Susan Ryder said...

National Day of Prayer? Pshaw! Today is George Clooney's birthday.

And they were supposed to be chicken tacos, not burritos -- but whatever they were, people ate 'em up!

Kathleen said...

Suddenly, everything has changed.