About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Fun Fair

Oakdale school has a fun fair every May to raise money for the PTO.  They have games for the kids, concessions, and this year they had a dunk tank in which the principal, Mr. Cooper, sat for 2 hours in not-very-warm temps and let the kids dunk him over and over for one dollar a try, to raise money.  I wonder if he thought the money he raised would go to his salary, or to getting to keep one of his teachers that will be losing her job, or something like that.  Because that is some serious dedication.  He may need the money for cough syrup today.  Brrr!

The plan was to show a video of him getting dunked here.  Sierra took her new little video cam to the Fun Fair, but so far we have not been able to quite get it working and uploading and playing properly.  So Mr. Cooper can breathe a little easier knowing that he won't be shown on You Tube today with his slick wet hairdo or water dripping off his nose.

There are only a few weeks of school left.  Sierra will be turning in Sam the Skunk (or his twin that arrived in the mail yesterday.)  Report cards will come home.  Goodbyes will be said.  Summer fun will begin.  Jeremiah is playing baseball this summer again.  He's started practices already and more regular activity begins next week!  Sierra will be taking swimming lessons.  AND I hope I will get this video camera figured out before then.

Every summer I promise myself I will find a way to have the kids read every day.  I imagine that they will curl up with books on the couch, reading and smiling to themselves, for at least a half hour each time.  I used to do that, didn't I?  I remember getting in trouble for reading TOO much.  "Go outside and play!  Get some exercise!" were things I heard in the summertime. I think I used to take my book and go outside and curl up somewhere and keep reading.  Kid's mysteries and biographies were my favorites.  Nancy Drew, of course!  But also lesser known series, like The Bobbsey Twins and The Happy Hollisters. 

So maybe if I can find some kid's mysteries that interest them, then try to convince them they shouldn't be reading quite so much, I will succeed.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Take a picture of Sam the Skunk reading...

Also, show a basketball really enjoying reading....