About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Winter of Our Content

Apologies to John for the misuse of his book title and to William for the misuse of the line from Richard III from which John lifted it, but it is starting to look like winter is here in Central Illinois and I, for one, do not like whining about weather.  Unless a tornado is bearing down upon my car while I am driving alone in a trailer park out in Wapella.  Or anywhere.  I like snow, my kids like snow, and even Wolf seems to like snow even though the cold weather clearly causes his hips to hurt more. 

Last night was the first snow here.  And the last Steering Committee Meeting at NCC for 2010.  Afterward a few of us stopped at the Medici for a drink and I took my camera in for a few snapshots of my friends.  And our waiter, whose name I did not catch but here is his photo.

He is looking with amusement at our table as we were deciding what to order.  Or perhaps he was looking at my beautiful friend Nikki with something other than amusement?  Sorry dude, she's taken.  (Eric, you are welcome.  I've got your back, man.)

This photo is the best one of Nikki and not the best one of me, but that's the kind of friend I am.  Plus you all know what I look like.  And Nikki is just kind of sparkling in this picture and I really like it a lot.  So ignore the wild look in my eyes that says "Hey, I've had too much coffee today!"  Instead, look at my shirt which says, "It's the last day of November, it's snowing outside, and ain't that grand?"

Last but certainly not least, here are my dear friends Susan and Bob, who will soon celebrate their 24th wedding anniversary.  Look at these beautiful lovebirds.

Oh, they are so in love.

Warning:  Do not let small children or anyone who uses the phrase "proper decorum" read the rest of this blog.

Here is what we had to drink:

Bob - a drink not on the menu called Chocolate Cake that our nameless waiter recommended when Bob said he wanted something sweet to drink.  Susan- a cosmo.  Not the Medici Cosmo, but a regular cosmo.  Nikki - a Bloody Mary easy on the spiciness factor.  Me- a glass of Rioja.

Here is what we wanted to order but didn't:  a drink called Safe Sex With Chuck.  It sounded like a sweet drink, too...pineapple juice, curacao, something blue, hmm, for some reason I couldn't focus reading the ingredients...our waiter said it was good, and that Chuck is indeed one of the bartenders.  At that point I just mentally put my hands over my ears and said to myself, "ignoring you...lalalalala."

Small children and etiquette experts may now resume reading.

Actually there isn't much more to say.  Here's just one more photo of Susan and Bob for your viewing pleasure.


The picture of contentment.




5 comments:

Kathleen said...

I want to meet Chuck.

Kathleen said...

(Does Medici have spiced nuts?)

Kim said...

Kathy - for $5 you can do more than meet him.

Ellen said...

Well, WHAT can you do for $5?

Kim said...

Mom, that's what the drink costs.