About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

From Worst to Awesomest

I have Cabin Fever.  My temperature on the Cabin Fever Scale is about 212 degrees Fahrenheit...the boiling point.  I need to get out of the house and have some contact with grown ups who are not pediatricians or pharmacists.

Sierra has a sinus infection and is on antibiotics.  She can go to school today.  Jeremiah is working on a cough.  I'm pretending not to hear it. 

Sierra, in a moment of panic when she realized that she was going to be getting a flu shot yesterday, screamed at me, "You are the worst Mom ever!  You lied to your own kid."  She said that because I had told her earlier that the doctor would not give her a flu shot if she was already sick with something else.

Turns out I was Just Plain Wrong about that.

It took Sierra about fifteen minutes to calm down.  In that time I went from being the Worst Mom Ever to having a child that was doing deep breathing and holding my hand, looking away and sitting quietly while the nurse gave her the shot.  Sierra was so proud of herself for her transformation.  She should be, since last year she remained hysterical through the whole procedure and kicked the nurse in the stomach during the flu shot experience. 

After that, she started calling me A.M.  which stands for Awesome Mom.  Oh yeah, that's better.

So she is now A.G., Awesome Girl, and Jeremiah doesn't know it but we secretly refer to him as A.B., Awesome Boy.  We don't want him to get all smug so we will continue to keep that a little secret.

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

You are all the A.F. (Awesome Family) to me!!

Kim said...

Turns out both kids are running fevers now. Hmmm. Not really sending them to school, in case any of you were worried. About to test the limits of my boss's patience now...

Susan Ryder said...

Oh dear.

Ellen said...

Good heavens. I feel for ALL of you. Hope they are better soon.