About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Seven Angels

Yesterday morning I took Jeremiah to the doctor. The first angel of the day came and sat with Sierra while I took him.   Our regular pediatrician is out of town, so we saw the new young guy in the practice (Jeremiah called him a rookie, and then because we've been watching Star Wars movies, a Wookie.)  But a very good rookie he is.  Angel number two.  After hearing Jeremiah's symptoms he predicted, against all odds, that Jeremiah has the flu.  He examined Jeremiah and said, Yup, the flu.  I said Jeremiah had his flu shot.  He said, hmm, it is still the flu.  He did a nasal swab and tested it and it was...The Flu.  A full blown case, as if the flu shot had just dissipated it's protective powers into thin air.  Ah well...

I was told to expect him to be sick until at least Monday.  And reminded that it's an airborne virus.  And that it can turn into pneumonia in kids with asthma....so lots of rest, lots of his inhaler treatments, and...

keep him away from his sister if at all possible.  Thank goodness for two TVs on two different levels of the house with a Neutral Zone in the main level.    Here is what the kitchen looks like sometimes:


and that doesn't include the antibiotics in the fridge for Sisi's sinus infection!

Sick kids can be so sweet and just break your heart. My two angels (three and four) were no exception.  Jeremiah made me a couple cards yesterday, one had a picture of me on it:


Apparently I've torn some of my hair out and my eyes have been rolling back in my head but don't worry. 

Then Sierra made me a pipe-cleaner tree ornament:



It says I Love You in cursive except the letter I, for which she has not yet learned the cursive form.

So there were lots of worrisome and lots of tender moments, and a small meltdown I had last night after the kids were asleep which made me feel so much better.  Thanks to angel number 5 talking to me on the phone and listening to my tears.

Then there was Wolf.  He's an Angel in Wolf's Clothing.  Making himself comfortable for some silent healing meditation near each sick kid  and sad mother throughout the day:

Upstairs near Sisi, who claims she did not put those stuffed animals by his side. 


In the living room near me.  Later he slept in the bed downstairs with Jeremiah.  No pictures of that, letting those boys sleep without flashing lights in their eyes.

My  boss was also a complete angel, number 7 if you are counting, mostly worrying about my mental health.  I was instructed by her to
1. keep all sharp objects away from my eyes
2. text her as much as necessary to maintain adult human contact
3. let her know if I need anything!

If you would like to be on the Kim's Angels List, here are somethings I need:

1.  Adult human contact.  Please.  Keep in touch with me via phone, text, email, or if you are a brave soul you could visit.  And bring wine if it's after 5, because I have hummus in the fridge and pita chips and crackers.  Or we can have coffee.  Or some cough syrup!  I have masks so you could protect yourself against airborne germs.  We can both wear them and pretend to be Darth Vader. 

2.  Groceries would be nice in the next few days. 

3.  Could someone please arrange for a masseuse to move in for the next week?

4.  Kathleen, let Jean Luc know that our meeting will have to be postponed and suggest, again, New Years Eve.

5.  Keep us all in the light and that will probably do the trick.  Except for the groceries which you will probably need to do more than pray about to get on the list.





6 comments:

Collagemama said...

I am old enough that all the doctors seem like twelve-year old wookies, but I remember well those illnesses with asthma, and the kitchen counter of medicines. I will send pink vibes for speedy recovery.

Susan Ryder said...

I'll call you after the gym about a possible grocery run and book drop. Leaving late this morning due to snow-removal on car, so it'll be after 9am.

You left out an angel in your list tho.

YOU!

ron hardy said...

Do you feel like a tootsie roll, assuming Jeremiah's police artist's sketch is accurate? Unwrap yourself and try to relax.

Kathleen said...

I will be so happy to take the entertaining of Jean Luc off your hands! Don't worry about a thing.

Unknown said...

Thinking of you from afar, Kim. These are hard days for you. Sounds like you are doing everything just right. Indeed - you are the most important angel for your kids.

ted tingley said...

I had nine angels once, but they all went home.
I think I'll stick to one angel for a while.
Maybe if I look around the house real hard I can
find one. YOU'ALL get well soon!