About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Things to Warm my Heart

Today is going to be Day Number Five of me staying home with either a sick kid, inclement weather, or both.  We made it to church on Sunday for a brief foray out into the world when the weather was slightly less inclement and Sierra was less, well, boogery.

Then last night Sierra got very, well, boogery, and began running a fever. 

I gave her some kids ibuprofen and tucked her into bed.  I got out the stethoscope and listened to her lungs, just to be sure.  As I has doing that, she looked at me with feverishly loving eyes and said, "I am so lucky to have you to take care of me." 

Then Jeremiah came in and got on the bed next to her and said, "You are the best sister a boy could ever have."  and he reached up and patted her heart.

After that I got the mop and wiped myself up off the floor.

I texted my boss, who I have to stop expressing undying affection for or she will think I'm trying to get a raise.  She texted back and said the wisest thing:  Do you think it's a sinus infection?

She didn't say "Oh for the love of Pete please don't tell me you need another day off work?"

She said,  "Could you call your patients for tomorrow and let them know we will be rescheduling them?"

I gladly did that!  Then I texted her back and told her they were all very understanding about the situation.

She texted again and said, "Our patients are usually more concerned about us than they are about themselves.  I love home care!"

Amen, sister!

Right now everyone is still asleep, except me.  Even Wolf, if you can believe it!    He is at my side, gently snoring, of course.  I usually blog in the living room, but it is too durned cold down there this morning.  I'm sitting on the sofa in the "guest room" which happens to be right over a vent in the floor.  The kids pointed out to me how warm it is and as I am sitting here warming my happy fanny, I see that they are exactly right!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I am envisioning your warm happy fanny right now!

Ellen said...

Sorry Sierra is sick again. Wish I were there. Next year.