About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Baking Soda Day?

I'm beginning to feel a bit skeptical about this holiday website that lists all the bizarre and wacky holidays.  Today the only holiday listed is Bicarbonate of Soda Day.  Honestly we could just skip today to get right down to the party tomorrow, couldn't we?

I used baking soda recently to freshen up the sinks and I also used it when I baked a cake, From Scratch, a few weeks ago.  I made a cranberry, walnut, apple cake which called for baking soda.  But a whole day for it?  What about hummus?  Again, a day for baking soda, no days for hummus.  That Ain't Right!  Can I get an Amen?  Thank you!

I am anticipating the arrival of my parents today.  They will be visiting for some indeterminate period of time up to a month.  My Mom will be content to hang out here for a few weeks, so the length of time they will stay depends on

1.  keeping my dad busy with projects to do, and
2.  keeping my dad happy with rhubarb pies.

I have 2 packages of rhubarb in the freezer.  And a couple of home projects here for him to do.  So far so good.

3.  keeping my dad happy with challenging crossword puzzles to do,
4.  the weather.

Hmmm.  Number 4 could be a challenge.  I think rather than praying for no snow or ridiculously cold days, I will try to trick my parents into thinking that Winter is Fun.  Because all you have to do to believe that is watch Jeremiah shovelling the driveway for you, or watch Sierra slide down the little hill in the front yard on her sled.  While you sit inside drinking hot cocoa and remembering you are retired and don't have to go anywhere or do anything except the next home improvement project for your daughter and you have a stack of crossword puzzles, a good novel, rhubarb pie baking in the oven, and your daughter is so happy that you are here.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I think Bicarbonate of Soda day is to settle stomachs after all the holiday eating and drinking.

Is Hangover Day coming up pretty soon, too?

Susan said...

If you run out of projects for your dad to do at your house, we could put him to work here! ;-)