About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Next Career

I'm in one of those moods about my job where I'm thinking....what else can I do to pay the bills?

As it turns out, I probably will have some options.  I'm feeling lucky that way.  I have an interview on Monday for a different job as a PT.  The interview is with my friend Carla's husband, Dave, who just happens to be a VP for a big nursing home chain in Illinois.  The job is one that I think he and I are going to make up for me and try to sell the company on.  SO it may work out or it may not.  But I like how the interview came about.

On Tuesday morning, after a lovely vacation, I dropped the kids off at Day Camp and opened up my work computer.  One message or email after another that rubbed me the wrong way.  Just then Carla called to let me know she'd be coming to the little get-together I was having that night.  I asked her if she could please hire me to come to her house and clean her bathrooms, or something more pleasant than my current job.  She laughed.  Two hours later her husband called me.

I love Carla and Dave.

Then last night while having ice cream with some of the members of the social justice group at my church and listening to 2 people report on a trip to Washington DC they took last month to protest against big banks, wall street, predatory lending and so on...I mentioned I was looking for a new job.  Charline said she would have hired me to manage Crossroads if she hadn't already just hired someone else.  That amazed me.  I said I'd have no idea how to manage a store.  She said, "Well are you willing to be trained?"  And I realized, yes, I am willing to be trained to do something else!

So...does anyone else need their bathrooms cleaned, or...?

3 comments:

Susan Ryder said...

I need my entire house cleaned (scoured) from top to bottom -- the only problem is I can only afford to pay in wine. Would that work?

Kim said...

I don't think I can pay my mortgage in wine. Otherwise it would be fine.

Kathleen said...

So, yes, we need to talk.