About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Upstairs, Downstairs

Upstairs:  Yesterday the new floor project got started in earnest.  Furniture, books, and lamps were moved out of the guest room.  Carpet and padding were ripped up and put out for the garbage truck (yes, this week I remembered!).  Wood was purchased and carried into the house.  Here's my home repair hero at work:


Dad is happiest when he can go home at the end of a day of work like this and know there is rhubarb pie waiting for him!  Though yesterday he said he thought he needed some Sugar Cane in the afternoon.  He said that because he and Mom and I had gone to see Some Like It Hot at the Normal Theater on Sunday evening.  Here is Sugar Cane from that movie, with her ukelele, in case you have forgotten:





Downstairs:  In the afternoon I came downstairs and found my kids watching Field of Dreams, one of my favorite baseball movies.  I'd rented it to watch with Jeremiah over the weekend but we had not seen it yet.  What amazed me was that Sierra loved it.  She was fascinated by the story line, the magic of the field, the saving grace of imagination in the film.  When she is a little older I will read Shoeless Joe to her, the beautiful novel by Ray Kinsella on which the film is based.   

Sometimes I complain about how fast the kids are growing up, but when I see them loving a film that I have loved as an adult, I cherish these kinds of moments just as much as I was astonished hearing their first words or watching them go off to school on their first day. 

4 comments:

ron hardy said...

Sweet blog Kim. I can see the trajectory of your love moving through their lives. Yep.

Kathleen said...

So can I! Thanks for saying it so well, Ron! And you, too, Kim. You said it well, as well.

Ellen said...

I think you say everything well. Something you did NOT inherit from your Irish mother.

Robert said...

Wow, you are really awake! NICE!!!