About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, January 14, 2011

Two Perfect Tens and a Thirty-Three

Both kids have had their first basketball practices and both have their, unfortunately, identical team shirts.  This year both kids ended up with light blue jerseys and both are Number 10.  How did THAT happen?  They are just about the same size, so now I can look forward to Saturday mornings before their games:   "That's MY shirt...no that's MY shirt...."  (jinx).

But it's also kind of cool that they have the same number this year.  And it's a perfect 10.  Yes, yes they are.  Even when things go wildly strange, like yesterday morning when Jeremiah apparently woke up at 3:30 a.m. hungry and excited about his upcoming basketball practice, and did not go back to bed but instead ate just about anything with sugar in it he could find.  He then proceeded to go through my high school yearbooks and find every embarrassing picture of me he could find, and then some.

For example, he found the picture from my senior year when I was on the girl's varsity badmitton team.  As if there were a junior varsity team.  Ha.  I was not a perfect 10, but number 33.  And I was very very bad.  I only made the team because there were 8 spots, 9 girls went out for the team, and the girl that got cut had some kind of physical and mental disability.  (I can't remember, but I'm sure the coach might have considered cutting me instead.)  I only went out for the team so I could hang out more with my friend Peg.  

And then, there was the picture of the FHA...Future Homemakers of America.  Wait, I wasn't in FHA!  But there in the year book, was my name on the list for the girl in row 2 next to Nancy Haney (another unlikely candidate for FHA but life is stranger than fiction).  I looked more carefully at the photo:  oh, yes, of course, another case of Ellen Wilson and me being confused.  Or rather about other people being confused as to our identities.  That happened in school and even as recently as our last class reunion.  I think it would have been okay to have my name on that list if they had identified her as that girl on the badmitton team. 

Here are some High School Clubs that I would have joined if they had existed:

Future Pie Bakers
Girls who Like to Sit Around the House and Read Books
Hummus Anonymous, of course (though in high school I didn't even know a garbanzo from a lima bean.)
Kids who are Secretly Confused about Religion
 and last but not least...
Late Bloomers of America

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Laughing hysterically! Can't breathe.

Collagemama said...

In one of my art club photos I am wearing plaid knickerbockers with a matching battle jacket. There could be a club for Girls Whose Mothers Sew Doubleknits--a support group for terminally low self esteem!

It's never too late to start the Late Bloomers club. Thanks for the perfect start to my day!