About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, January 7, 2011

Magic with Wood and Plastic and Music

There were at least two projects underway at the Tingley household last night.  Dad was finishing up one last row of laminate in the guest room.  After dinner I did the dishes then called up to see if he needed another pair of hands...

Already Got Them!  he answered. 

Well by golly he did.   So I went on my merry way and found the other project underway in the living room:


Sierra was creating a lego chair ornament that can see out one side of the head rest, I guess.  I don't know exactly.  So far no angels or leprechauns have appeared to sit on the chair, but I'm sure that isn't out of the realm of possibilities for today.  At this point it seems like nothing is impossible when she starts creating something.

Yesterday on the way to school, I happened to catch a look in the rearview mirror of an expression on Jeremiah's face that I wish I could capture on film and keep forever.  A song from 1975 was on the radio and it was a silly song you may recall that started out with background voices chanting "Oog-a-chaka -oog-a-ooga-ooga-chaka" over and over just before the sweet love song lyrics break in.  Quite a goofy combination.  I started singing along to the radio because of course I know all the lyrics to all the songs that were popular in 1975, and he got that look a kid gets that says "my mom is really funny but I am almost too old to laugh at her so I will grin in spite of myself and look at her knowing that she knows this is one of the last times I will laugh so easily at her when she tries to crack me up."


3 comments:

Kathleen said...

It's OK. I still get that look from my 20-year-old!

Connie Lou said...

I know that look! Jeremiah's cousin has one that sounds very similar! In fact, I received this look from Benjamin in this exact same situation! Same song and everything!

Ellen said...

Somehow I don't think either one of those two boys will ever outgrow grinning at their moms.