About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Two thousand and eleven..so far, so good

Having my parents in town is great.  I went shopping with both parents yesterday. First Mom and I went to "the Jewel" ... why is it The Jewel?  when it is not The Krogers or The Schnucks?  Inquiring minds yada yada yada.

We went to get a rotisserie chicken for lunch and left with $70 worth of groceries, mostly mine.  Hey, stuff was on sale!  And then I remembered needing to feed the kids this week which is becoming more and more costly as Sierra in particular right now seems to require food every minute of the day just to keep her creativity intact and to build new inches of height at an alarming rate.

Dad and I went to Borders.  I had a couple of coupons (50% off one item...I got Barbara Kingsolver's book Lacuna, out in paperback now.  Hey book group?) and I also needed one of those ridiculous 5-column wall calendars that helps me keep track of everyone's activities.  I put it up and started writing in Jeremiah's basketball games for the next 2 months. 

Later in the day Mom and Dad took the kids and went to Francisco's where they are staying since he is out of the country this month.  I attempted to take a nap.  First Dad called to tell me that Mom had found the missing checkbook (a cause of worry to everyone since there was no way to contact the bank until Monday, which as it turns out was good since the checkbook was...in with her toothbrush where I guess it was hiding?)  The my good buddy Nikki called with some excuse to chat which I happily did since I haven't seen her in a couple of weeks.  Finally, Dad called again. 

Kim, I have a problem.  I cannot find a corkscrew here.

Now that IS a problem.  I told him to look next to Mom's toothbrush, but that wasn't right.  Oh, yes, that one drawer in the kitchen...Ahh, problem solved.

After the pseudo-nap and some coffee, I went to see a former-patient-turned-friend named Lynn.  She invited me over to play Scrabble.  I knew she would win.  But she didn't.  But only because we never got around to playing Scrabble.  There was jewelry to finish making (a necklace that matched the earrings she gave me earlier this year when she was still my patient.) 



And there was food, a lot of really good food, to eat.  We had some kind of fabulous sausage, cheese, crackers, spinach dip, some kind of cheese dip, tortilla chips, and...HUMMUS.  Tribe brand,  Spicy Red Pepper hummus.  And then a cheesecake.   Whew. 

But the real reason that we didn't get around to playing Scrabble was that Lynn had some great stories to tell me.  And I got her permission to tell the story of what John Prine said to her one night a long time ago when she met him and they were sitting around playing guitar and talking after a concert.  He said to her:


Look at you, smirking, with that Neiman-Marcus mouth of yours...

Well, what did you think John Prine would say if he was flirting...Oh, you have such pretty eyes?  Hell, no.

So, Scrabble will wait for another day.  And as Lynn seems to know a lot of mid-western singer-songwriter types, I am hopeful for more good stories and also more hummus at our next visit.


Back at the ranch, Sierra was whipping everyone's behind in Wii Bowling.  Dad had eaten a quarter of the rhubarb pie and was drinking some wine and watching Mom and the kids bowling.  Everyone looked pretty content.  Everyone was content.  It was a great start to a new year. 

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Thank God your dad found a corkscrew! 2011 can proceed.

Collagemama said...

I listened to Lacuna on cd. I'll be interested to read your thoughts on it.