About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Synonym a Day Keeps the Blues Away

My parents headed back to Tennessee today.  They have been visiting us here in the frozen tundra for almost 3 weeks.  They have decided it's time to migrate home, south, to what they hope will be warmer temperatures and less snow.  We miss them already.  I pouted around for a while last night, then the kids decided to cheer me up by carrying Jeremiah's queen sized mattress down the stairs to the living room and jumping around wildly.  Then I got to forgot my woes by helping them carry it back up stairs.  Lucky me!

I forgot to mention yesterday that it was both Thesaurus Day (celebrating the birth of the Roget himself in 1779) and Winnie-the-Pooh Day (January 18th also being the birthday of A.A. Milne in 1882.)  Today, however, is another food day:  Popcorn Day.  'Scuse me while I whine about how popcorn has a day, caramel corn has another day (April 7th), popcorn actually has an entire month (October)...well, I can see the Popcorn Lobby is much more powerful than we ever suspected.  I think I will have to up my contribution this year to the Hummus PAC.  I encourage all of you to do the same.

I opened up Roget's Thesaurus to see what the synonyms of Pooh and of Popcorn might be.  Pooh has many including Pish!  Humbug!  Fiddlesticks!  But popcorn isn't even in the thesaurus.  Of course not. 

Hummus is listed, however, and has several synonyms as well:  Nectar.  Ambrosia.  Heaven-on-pita.  Oh Roget, thank you, thank you thank you!

7 comments:

ron hardy said...

I too loves Roget. Mine says "oh bother" under pooh.

Kathleen said...

I think we could make a thesaurus into a purse.

Susan Ryder said...

Kathleen - or a bag, carryall, clutch, handbag, hide, pocketbook, pouch, receptacle, sack, wallet

Kim -- my thesaurus does not have hummus in it, so methinks you are hallucinating. Or daydreaming, envisioning, fantasizing, having visions, head tripping, hearing voices, or hummuscinating.

Susan Ryder said...

Oh and Ron -- nice to meet you! AKA nice to "accost, affront, brush against, bump into, chance on, clash, collide, come across, come up against, confront, contact, cross, dig up, encounter, engage, experience, face, fall in with, find, front, get together, grapple, greet, hit, light, make a meet, meet face to face, rendezvous with, rub eyeballs, run across, run into, run up against, salute, see, strike, stumble, touch shoulders, tumble, tussle, wrestle" you.

Rub eyeballs? hahahaha!

:-D

ron hardy said...

So nice to meet you Susan. Is this check list some kind of alphabetical threshold test for a rite of passage? What am I passing through? Do I need a passport? Fluency in a foreign language? Visine? Actually I am lucky enough to have my very own translator/stenographer.

ted tingley said...

Pie in the face day was sometime this week.

Anonymous said...

Perfect World Gold grinding million R2 Gold hit Kennedy also strong ,together with the maid standing on both sides of the Church Rift Plat,will have the whole world ,The battle front on the big screen display,Mu Big Brother, EQ2 Platinum it really such divisions Last Chaos Gold as a father,Yan Wang added Aion Kinah,Similarly,Thunder Road Dental Maple Story Mesos coldly. 4Story Lunahe also knows the benefits Archlord Gold of win over Prince Arche Age Gold,in each other's Atlantica Gold horror under the Blade Soul Gold cut their throat DCUO Cash,sitting front is simply Cabal Alz not human.you persisted in his Dungeons Dragons Platinum refusal to surrender Dofus Kamas.becoming an immortal Dragon Nest Gold emergence.said the sky city Dekaron Gold,and now she riding with Xuenv Shaiya Gold,Cai wind hearts Silkroad Gold of some unhappy people see SWG Credits that the two dogs Tera Gold saw the door of Tibia Money the small low so ignore their own WOW MONEY