About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Hummers Anonymous

Lately it has been pointed out to me by several people that I hum a lot.  hum hum hummus hum.  The woman at the car dealership where I get the oil changed in my car.  Dad.  The Player to be Named Later.  My friend Lynn.  All have commented on my humming. 

According to Wikipedia humming can be a sign of happiness or of boredom.  I didn't realize it, but it is impossible to hum for more than a few seconds with your nose plugged.  I tried it (of course!) and it's true.  Try it, try it, and you may, try it and you may, I say!  Oh, wait that's green eggs and ham, silly me.

I don't know why I hum.  It's true I am content. And humming seems like a better thing to do than talk to myself, which I also do.  But usually when I am not content.  So it's a good thing that in the past few years I hum more than talk to myself.  Mmmm hmmmm.


If I were a bird this is what I guess I would be.  A fiesty hyper little hummingbird.  Better that than an albatross.


If I were a beer this is what I would be.   But not for breakfast, please!  That ale might taste good with hummus, though. 


If I were a vehicle, this is NOT what I would be.  I would be this:


at least in my dreams.  Mmmm Hmmmm!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

It's definitely happiness!!

Also, we have that little red car as a Christmas ornament! I just took it down. Though I realize I could have left it up, for Valentine's Day, because it is red, and we love it.

It was a gift to the hubby/dad one year when we couldn't give him the actual car.

Ellen said...

Your Grandmother Tingley used to hum in her kitchen. I never thought much about it but she was probably very content in there.

Kim said...

I remember Grandma Tingley humming in the kitchen while she washed dishes!

ron hardy said...

I think that God must be a hummer too. The sound OM ends in a hum. Maybe everything is arising out of His/Her humming. hmmmm is right.