About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fair Weather Fowl

I saw a sliver of blue sky yesterday about noon.  It disappeared pretty quickly.  But what a lovely little break from the clouds and fog of the rest of the week.  We are promised some sunshine, though with very cold temperatures, tomorrow.  Hurrah for blue!

I like winter.  Just for the record.  Call me crazy.  (Nuts, wacko, insane.)  The only thing I don't like about winter is when it persists well into April.  So I do have my winter-lovin' limits, too.

Today is Penguin Awareness Day.   I always think of Antarctica when I think of penguins.  I think of March of the Penguins (the movie I had to leave in the middle because my kids were running around the theater like it was Chuck E Cheeses, then later saw at a drive-in theater south of Gibson City where no one cared if the kids were noisy)  Not all penguins live in winter-type weather, though.  The Galapagos Penguin, for example, is happy on the equator. Cute little guy, isn't he?

Here is another penguin that doesn't need winter weather:



He just needs his pal Chumley




I'm assuming Tennessee and Chumley don't live in Antarctica.  I mean, where would they shop for ties and hats if they did?



10 comments:

Kathleen said...

I will call you wacko, if you will call me quirky.

Ah, the penguins! (Having some trouble in Antarctica these days, alas.)

I saw no blue sky sliver, but I saw a small gorgeous flock of starlings.

Kim said...

You've got yourself a deal Quirky

Collagemama said...

Oh, no! Now I've got "Tennessee Tuxedo and his friends" playing in my head.

ron hardy said...

I want Chumley's porkpie hat. And what is a porkpie?

Susan Ryder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Ryder said...

A pork-pie is a meat pie of the sort common in British cuisine. A pork-pie hat is named for its resemblance to a pork pie.

I'm just a fountain of knowledge, aren't I?

Kim said...

I'm pretty sure no one will lick a pork pie off anyone's face...

Susan Ryder said...

Do I want to know what that last comment from Kim means? Probably not ...

Ellen said...

NO, Susan, you DO NOT want to know what her comment means.

When in actuality (that is a word, isn't it?) I know you well enough that you WILL FIND OUT what that comment means.

Connie Lou said...

I loved Tennessee Tuxedo when I was a kid...well, I still love that show. :) Who was the professor with the magic blackboard? I always loved that portion of the show.