About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Interesting Holiday Combinations

I slept a little later than I had planned to sleep this morning. Not much, just enough to set my blog time back a bit and make me feel that perhaps I'd better turn to the Bizarre and Wacky Holiday website for inspiration to get me rolling.  Much to my amazement there are two holidays listed for today that, in my mind, should never be in close proximity. 

1.  Bean Day
2.  Cuddle Up Day.

Enough said about that, I think.

Of course as January 6th, it is also Epiphany, the day the magi arrived to bring the baby Jesus his gifts of fava beans, Bean-o, and some Pampers Baby Wipes.  Or gold, frankincense, and myrrh.  We aren't exactly sure.  Some Christian groups celebrate Epiphany as the anniversary of Jesus' baptism in the River Jordan.  So as you can see there is a lot of room for interpretation.  Yup.

I do like that word epiphany.  "A revelatory manifestation of a divine being.  A spiritual event in which the essence of a given object of manifestation appears to the subject, as in a sudden flash of recognition."  (from that big ole red dictionary.)   I think of that as seeing through the ordinariness of any object/person/dog and seeing the divine which is always there at the center.  I think of epiphany as a falling away of the blinders and seeing clearly.  It isn't that the divine manifests itself briefly, it's just that our ability to see is (usually) brief.  Otherwise we would just melt away and not be able to balance our checkbooks or make toast for breakfast.  So back to earth, gentle readers, to care tenderly for all the divine beings around you today.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

We both wrote about Epiphany this morning, but I forgot the beans.