About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Friday, July 2, 2010

Staying Healthy

Sierra has now completed her 3rd week of swimming lessons, and also she is still so into making her own eggs that I fear she may need to start taking cholestrol medicine before her 9th birthday!  I think I will stop buying eggs for a while and see if we can find something ELSE she likes to make that might be a little healthier.  Something with blueberries would be good, since July is Blueberry Month.  OR if we decide we want to combine blueberries and cholestrol we might make Caroline's cobbler!  See http://www.carolineandelizabeth.blogspot.com/ for yummy details!

One interesting thing about the first week in July, which you probably don't know if you've never worked in a university hospital, is that more people die in hospitals from medical mistakes during the this week than any other one week period of the year.  Do you know why this is?  Do you want to know?  Spoiler alert---I'm going to tell you now!

The first of July is the beginning of the "educational" year for medical interns and residents.  So if you are in a teaching hospital during that week, chances are good that your medical resident doesn't yet have a clue what they are doing, and the attending doctor is probably running from mistake to mistake tearing his or her hair out. 

Ok, I exaggerate.  But the statistic IS true.  Or it's a lie.  Or a damned lie.  But still...

Apparently some very smart women found this out, and thus created a holiday-ish week for the first week in July called

NATIONAL UNASSISTED HOME BIRTHING WEEK - July 1 to 7.

Coincidence?  I think not.

On the topics of Sierra and the medical profession...

Sierra is very interested in anatomy and physiology from a science viewpoint.  I mentioned this to our neighbor Shannon who sells college textbooks, and she gave me two interactive learning programs for our computer that teach anatomy and physiology.  Sierra and I will probably try to tackle those this weekend, and then we will have some gross anatomy lessons for you on next week's blogs.

And remember, try to stay out of the hospital until at least next Thursday!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Looking forward to the gross anatomy lessons, blueberries, and hummus.