About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Grady's Fun Park

Friday night I took my kids and a friend of Jeremiah's to Grady's Fun Park.  The plan was for the boys to practice their swings in the batting cages.  Which they did.  And had a good time.


In order to keep Sierra occupied while the athletes were in action, I told her she could go on a ride.  She decided she would ride the bumper cars.  I had a flash-forward 8 years into the future when I saw the gleam in her eyes as she got behind the wheel.  It wasn't a pretty sight. 


Later the boys decided they wanted to go on one ride too.  So we debated which ride all three of them would agree to go on together.  (Grady's is fun but not cheap, which is why they didn't go on three different rides, of course). 

Sierra wanted bumper cars again.  Jeremiah wanted bumper boats.  Jacob wanted to go on something called the Roundabout, in which you are chained in place to the side of the ride and then the ride spins around fast and the bottom drops out.



I'm sure his parents may have some worries of their own about the day he gets his driver's license.

They finally agreed to go on the bumper cars.  Everything seemed fine until I saw two other kids come to get in the bumper cars.  One of them was a kid who outweighed mine by at least 40 pounds, and had a big bruise on his face.  I know it was wrong of me to think so, but I was kind of afraid he might get a little, well, vicious in there.

It was wrong of me to think so.  He was very careful and gentle not to crash as hard as he could into the other kids and also never hit them head on. 

Jeremiah enjoyed the bumper cars too, but was also interested in the photo opps.  Probably thinking forward to product endorsement when he's a pro athlete...


After that we had ice cream and then headed home.  The kids rolled down their windows and yelled "NICE CAR!"  at every other vehicle we passed with the windows down.  Then acted shocked when people looked at them.  At one point we came upon what looked like the quintessetial gang-mobile car.  I said, "don't yell, don't yell at that car, please don't yell at that car."  And they didn't.  Amazing.

So once they are 16 all I have to do is ride along with them and give them advice like that, right?  Sounds like a good plan to me.

Have a great Saturday, drive safely, and remember to Watch Out for The Other Guy!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I still remember the first time you took the car to Darlene Jessies house. I had visions of kids riding bikes in front of you and you not being able to stop, people running stop signs - It's called MOTHERS WORRY. They will be fine just like you were.