About Me

My photo
United States
Getting older is not for sissies. I'm not a sissy, thank goodness. I'm a physical therapist, mom, daughter, sister, friend, and I am looking forward to "what's next?"

Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Fifteen Minutes of Fame and other things...

Today it is MY turn to be famous.  Andy Warhol says we only get 15 minutes, but I think I may have gone beyond that already.


1.  I'm mentioned in Kathleen's blog today a lot of times.  Wait while I go and count...6 times my name appears! 


2.  My picture is in the Pantagraph!  I am on the front page in color as a little half-person up by the *ph* at the end of Pantagraph, looking at a Story Box, which I eventually purchased at the Sugar Creek Arts Festival.  I'm also in a black and white photo on page B2, doing the same thing but my name is in the caption. 


3.  My picture is on the Pantagraph website, too!  In the Photo Gallery section of the Sugar Creek Arts Festival article.  Same photo as the black and white one on B2 above, this in color.  So you can see me being a famous buyer of art even if you can't get the Pantagraph at your local newstand.


The arts festival was hot, darned hot.  Sunny.  Crowded.  Always a great thing to do.  Attention:   family artists...you too could have a booth at the festival and enjoy sitting outside for two days sweating in the heat to sell and talk to strangers about your art. Or not. 


On a less fame-related note:


Today is my Sunday to teach the kids at Sunday School.  I asked my two if they wanted to come to class today and they said yes.  I asked if they had any ideas or something they wanted to talk about.   They said yes.   They said The World Cup.  They said Soccer. 


Soccer at church?  I asked.


Yes, soccer and Jesus,  they answered.


I felt quite challenged by that.  So I asked for more specifics.  Amazingly they came up with a few. 
Fairness in sports.  And how The World Cup could break down barries by showing people around the world what they have in common.


Well whaddya know!


And of course the World Cup final is today, Holland is playing Spain.  Willemina is out of town, or she would be teaching with me, and we would be singing Hup Holland Hup and drawing pictures of lions in their undershirts.  But instead, we are going to make a big soccer collage!  Inspirement courtesy of Kathleen's bookmark collage project at the Arts Festival.


The materials to collage while making bookmarks were found in used books purchased by Babbitts.  There was quite a variety of materials.  Stamps, real bookmarks from various bookstores around the country.  Letters.  Notes.  Recipes.  Pamphlets.  Pages torn from other books.  Postcards.  Some very old.  Some very odd.  And in a strange coincidence...there was a xeroxed copy of the front of Miner Brock's Birds that Frequent the Night and his photo with the heebeejeebeejesus hairdo. 


The kids will be using magazines for their collages.  I can't wait to see their work...maybe it will have something to do with soccer or Jesus.  Or maybe not.



3 comments:

Susan Ryder said...

You must bring the collages into the Chapel at the end of the service! Oh, and here is the link to see the lovely and famous Kim!

http://www2.pantagraph.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=4&gallery_page=0&album_page=0&albumid=1429&mediaid=33334

Ellen said...

Interesting that your two bring the world together in a spiritual way when so many of our world leaders cannot. HMMMMM

Karen K sent me the web page and I did get to see you looking at the story box I guess. It's a good picture. My goodness, you ARE famous now. See? I said the paper needed you.

mom

Kathleen said...

She is so famous!